Default Another New Inspector on inspectionnews...

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Randy and I go by Door Guy. I have been a building inspector for almost 7 years with both residential and commercial inspection experience. I also have 22 plus years in residential and light commercial construction. Lastly, I am an inventor also. I have invented a product for installing pre hung doors that eliminates the use of wood shims. That website is How To Hang a Door | Install Doors | EZHangDoor.com if anyone wants to look. I look forward to participating with everyone here and hopefully can use my experiences to add to discussions.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Michael Garrity Guest

Default Re: Another New Inspector on inspectionnews...

So you use 7 clips, no shims,nail on the trim and expect everything to be perfect for years to come?It's hard to believe. Some window and door manufacturers will provide clips to be used along with shims.

You still should nail through the jamb, close to the brackets, as they do perform like shims in keeping the jamb in place. With solid core doors you need to remove the center screw from the top hinge and replace it with a 2-1/2" screw. You should be doing that no matter how you install the door. I have been a contractor for 22 years and call backs for door adjustments went to nearly zero after we started using the brackets. Here are some testimonials Door Installation Testimonials Using EZ-Hang Brackets | EZHangDoor.com. These are real people and real testimonials. They really help homeowners who would normally struggle with installing doors.

Bud Butczynski Guest

I'm a man of many doors; I watched the video and have to say I'll give your product a try. Excellent concept. Good luck, Randy.

Michael Garrity Guest

I can see why it is great for homeowners or a handyman. I am a little skeptical,but without seeing or using the product I can't condemn it.I have been in the carpentry/joinery business for 38yrs and there is a little difference between the homeowner install and professional install.Good luck with it

Ah,the good old days,handsaws,no nail guns,no screw guns,no warm clothing.The good old days

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Butczynski View Post
    I'm a man of many doors; I watched the video and have to say I'll give your product a try. Excellent concept. Good luck, Randy.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Garrity View Post
    I can see why it is great for homeowners or a handyman. I am a little skeptical,but without seeing or using the product I can't condemn it.I have been in the carpentry/joinery business for 38yrs and there is a little difference between the homeowner install and professional install.Good luck with it

Ah,the good old days,handsaws,no nail guns,no screw guns,no warm clothing.The good old days
    Thanks Michael. You do have a few years on me...thirty eight years is a long time; and yes, I know things have changed. Some for the better and some not.

A.D. Miller Guest

DG: The site is OK for what it is, but it only shows how to install a pre-hung door. It takes a skilled carpenter to actually hang a door, i.e. construct the jambs, mortise for hinges, locksets, et al.

Ron Bibler Guest

sAY dOOR gUY.. Welcome to the board. You should check in with Brian He is the founder of this feast. AKA Owner of this site. you will find many new friends on this board.

A proper and great place to advertise your product would be with Brian on this site. it is free for all to come and do the give and take. but we should never forget Brian...

bESt

rOn

P.S. I Like you product...

P.S.S. Im an old school guy. never did use shims...

Quote Originally Posted by Door Guy View Post
    I would like to introduce myself. My name is Randy and I go by Door Guy.
    First, we use real names on this site, so please click on 'Contact Us' at the bottom and ask Brian to change your username to your real name - it is what we do here and what helps us get to know each other better.

I have invented a product for installing pre hung doors that eliminates the use of wood shims. That website is How To Hang a Door | Install Doors | EZHangDoor.com if anyone wants to look. I look forward to participating with everyone here and hopefully can use my experiences to add to discussions.
    I have hung many hundreds of doors in my life and would not use those.

*I* want the door to stay where I put it and to be good and strong, with the nails through the jambs into real shims into real wood to not only keep the jambs from bowing but to keep it all in place, and not just with the fasteners (nails) but also with the friction developed between the jamb and the shims and the shims and the buck.

Sorry, Bud B., I disagree this time.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bud Butczynski Guest

Other than with the aid of Door Guy's invention, how does one install a door without shims, Ron? I'm closing in on old and old school, also. Just can't figure out how it's done without shims & 4 hands (which is the beauty of Randy's invention).

Yeah, ought to check with Brian, though. When I'm finally rich and famous, Brian gets a cut for everything I've learned here.

Bud Butczynski Guest

"You still should nail through the jamb, close to the brackets, as they do perform like shims in keeping the jamb in place. With solid core doors you need to remove the center screw from the top hinge and replace it with a 2-1/2" screw. You should be doing that no matter how you install the door."

I'm always open for a better mouse trap, Jerry.

how does one install a door without shims, Ron?
    Use deck screws. Slowly screw in/ back out screws 'til you've got it square of course.

Bud Butczynski Guest

Damn Brandon,
    I'm going to let someone else rip that one apart! Jim Morrison called, he's wondering why the riders on the storm can't light his fire (which may be because you installed the entry between the two).

Bud Butczynski Guest

Sorry Brandon,
    I just got the joke.

Ron Bibler Guest

Other than with the aid of Door Guy's invention, how does one install a door without shims, Ron? I'm closing in on old and old school, also. Just can't figure out how it's done without shims & 4 hands (which is the beauty of Randy's invention).

Yeah, ought to check with Brian, though. When I'm finally rich and famous, Brian gets a cut for everything I've learned here.

Say Bud. This was the way my Dad taugh Me and my Brother to hang doors. And like Jerry Not one door my Dad, my brother or I have ever hung has had a problem.

Fix the opening first... I have look at door in homes I was inspecting and all the time you will see doors with a 1/2 to 1.inch of shims... DUM...

If you fix the opening first then you can hang a door that fits the opening correctly. A perfict fit every time. to me a door is finish work. and the framing at this point should fit the door.

Hope this helps..

Best

Ron

P.S. I like his ides. I would not us it but I like it.

I'm always open for a better mouse trap, Jerry.
    Bud,

So am I.

However, nailing/screwing through the jamb WITH NOT SHIM TO SUPPORT THAT AREA TIGHT is not my idea of a "better" mouse trap. I want that mouse caught, killed and held tight ... not softly squished because the spring comes down on a foam rubber pad with no substantial support.

I can very simply modify that so it work many time better and solves the problems I am pointing out. Of course, there would have to be an 'invention modification fee' involved to point out what is needed and an easy way to accomplish it ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The video says to draw a level line but they draw a plumb line. Later is says to match the device up with the level line but it is still a plumb line. I guess any line drawn using a level is a level line regardless of the orientation of the line relative to gravity.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The video says to draw a level line but they draw a plumb line. Later is says to match the device up with the level line but it is still a plumb line. I guess any line drawn using a level is a level line regardless of the orientation of the line relative to gravity.
    Bruce, Bruce, Bruce... A level line a plumb line. Can't we all get along

Best

Ron

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Say Bud. This was the way my Dad taugh Me and my Brother to hang doors. And like Jerry Not one door my Dad, my brother or I have ever hung has had a problem.

Fix the opening first... I have look at door in homes I was inspecting and all the time you will see doors with a 1/2 to 1.inch of shims... DUM...

If you fix the opening first then you can hang a door that fits the opening correctly. A perfict fit every time. to me a door is finish work. and the framing at this point should fit the door.

Hope this helps..

Best

Ron

P.S. I like his ides. I would not us it but I like it.
    I agree. Always plumb the trimmers first and secure with either shims or "preacher nails". Some of you oldtimers will remember what those are.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    BR: Good call. Most of today's "carpenters" don't know the difference. They think a plumb bob is some fruit-in-a-barrel thing you do at family outings. A framing square to them is an aboriginal weapon. If it's not pre-hung, pre-primed and ready to fall into place by itself, they do not know exactly WTF to do with it, much less what to call it.