Thread: Times Up

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Times Up

Ran into an interesting situation today. Doing an inspection at a town home and the buyers were temp living in the unit. I was about 2 1/2 hours into the inspection and the wife says they have to leave in 15 min. to go to dinner. I said I could finish on my own. Well they were not having that, so I finished up and got the hell out of there. Ever run into this?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Times Up

Just communication. They should have asked since they made plans.... you could have told them how long it takes upfront but it's not really your problem. It's pretty lame on their part to just assume you'll be done at a certain time. This comes up every once in awhile. Everytime I've had anyone one a time crunch they've voiced they're concern much sooner than 15 mins before they had to leave.

"Fine, you are the client. What part do you want me to leave off the inspection?"

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

mathew stouffer Guest

Well the annoying thing was she scheduled the time. So I just said the hell with it and left. I don't have time for that type of non sense.

If they are already moved into the townhome it probably doesn't matter what you say or not, their probably already committed themselves to buying the place.

I'd packed it up and wrote up what I had seen and also documented what I didn't get to inspect due to the client insisting the inspection to be over.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Ran into an interesting situation today. Doing an inspection at a town home and the buyers were temp living in the unit. I was about 2 1/2 hours into the inspection and the wife says they have to leave in 15 min. to go to dinner. I said I could finish on my own. Well they were not having that, so I finished up and got the hell out of there. Ever run into this?
    Did you get your money???

Were you doing the report there???? Big condo if the inspection itself was not done by then.

I like Jim L and Rick H's replies.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I would do as Rick has said. In my 14+ years of doing home inspections I can't really say that I have had a time limit ever come up with the client. I always, always make sure my client and anyone I talk with understands that I will be at the home on the average 2-3 hours on a normal inspection. If it is a McMansion, I tell them 3-5 hours depending on the size of it.

Most of the time my client will ask "how long will the inspection take", this is a great time to tell them. I also add that the less I find and the cleaner the home the quicker it will go.

I have had a few agents over the years try to hurry me up so they can make their tee time!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com