Robert Autrey Guest

Default Plumbing Vent Terminates In Garage?

I did an inspection today at an older (1950) home. The original cast iron sanitary sewer pipe has been replaced with PVC. I see this quite a lot. However, what I do not see a lot is a vent stack terminated in the attached garage. The owner told me that the plumbing contractor who did the sewer re-route said it was okay to do this because of the "filter" that is in place at the top of the vent. Now, I don't look at a lot of old homes so this is a new one on me. Is anybody familiar with this? Can this be kosher?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Plumbing Vent Terminates In Garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Autrey View Post
    I did an inspection today at an older (1950) home. The original cast iron sanitary sewer pipe has been replaced with PVC. I see this quite a lot. However, what I do not see a lot is a vent stack terminated in the attached garage. The owner told me that the plumbing contractor who did the sewer re-route said it was okay to do this because of the "filter" that is in place at the top of the vent. Now, I don't look at a lot of old homes so this is a new one on me. Is anybody familiar with this? Can this be kosher?
    I like your choice of words ( kosher? ) Did you smell the top of the pipe

Pew..... I had one just like that the other day...

I don't think so...

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ron Bibler; 08-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Robert Autrey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Did you smell the top of the pipe

Pew.....
    I did not.

But, but, but, yours didn't have the filter!

Ron Bibler Guest

I did not.

But, but, but, yours didn't have the filter!
    Thats because it was not a ( kosher? ) vent. L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Filter or no filter, it is not correct.

That is not a filter! It is a mechanical vent. Mechanical vents are not allowed in residential construction, but they could use an air admittance valve or an AAV.

The AAV is permitted for use in this type of situation as long as the home has one vent that goes to the exterior of the home.

The mechanical vents are black ABS plastic and the AAV will be tan or white in color. One brand of an AAV would be a Studor Vent.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Robert Autrey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    That is not a filter! It is a mechanical vent. Mechanical vents are not allowed in residential construction, but they could use an air admittance valve or an AAV.

The AAV is permitted for use in this type of situation as long as the home has one vent that goes to the exterior of the home.

The mechanical vents are black ABS plastic and the AAV will be tan or white in color. One brand of an AAV would be a Studor Vent.
    Well? I read up in my IRC to discover essentially what you're telling me. Although, I wasn't completely sure I was understanding it correctly. Thanks for your response.

You're right, this one was black and appeared to be black ABS (shiny black plastic). The seller (a company doing flips) had their super there during the inspection and he swore to me that, not only did the plumbing contractor say it was good, but the city plumbing inspector allegedly told this fellow it was proper.

Oh well? I didn't call it. I may have been wrong it that based upon what you're saying, but I'm not too concerned about it since it is in an attached garage that is completely separated from the house with a drywall partition to the roof deck, has no ceiling, and is well ventilated with gable vents. I doubt it will ever become an issue.

Well it is an issue. Even if they replace it with an AAV it still an issue, it is not easly accasable for service. Also if its the only vent for the whole house (none going to the roof) its an issue.

Well? I read up in my IRC to discover essentially what you're telling me. Although, I wasn't completely sure I was understanding it correctly. Thanks for your response.

You're right, this one was black and appeared to be black ABS (shiny black plastic). The seller (a company doing flips) had their super there during the inspection and he swore to me that, not only did the plumbing contractor say it was good, but the city plumbing inspector allegedly told this fellow it was proper.

Oh well? I didn't call it. I may have been wrong it that based upon what you're saying, but I'm not too concerned about it since it is in an attached garage that is completely separated from the house with a drywall partition to the roof deck, has no ceiling, and is well ventilated with gable vents. I doubt it will ever become an issue.
    Probably won't be an issue, but you never know. It wrong so, you might want to consider adding an adendum to your report. I do it a few times a year when I discover something after I have finished the report.

The deal is that the mechanical vent is approved for use in manufactured housing and not in residental construction. When the mechanical vent fails it fails in the open postion. The AAV fails in the closed postion.

Cost is a big reason that we find the mechanical vents, they cost less than $10 and the AAV's cost around $30+. Another reason is ignorance of their proper use.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Well it is an issue. Even if they replace it with an AAV it still an issue, it is not easly accasable for service. Also if its the only vent for the whole house (none going to the roof) its an issue.
    I agree with Ron ... IT IS "an issue" for both the reasons Ron said, however, you may never hear about it, and in that sense it is not an issue for you - just an issue for your client.

Besides, when they go to sell and their buyer's inspector writes it up, it may become "an issue for you" then.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Vincent Guest

Nothing like a little Aroma Therapy