Thread: flue at eave

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default flue at eave

This is either really wrong or absolutely fine. Either way I have no idea. What is wrong or right about this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: flue at eave

It is too short.

It needs to be 2 feet higher than any part of the structure within 10 feet (based on the diameter I am presuming it to be).

What diameter was it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default Re: flue at eave

Jerry,
    I think about 8 inches.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Exclamation Re:chimney at eave

This appears to be a factory built fireplace. The chimney must be 3ft above the roof and 2/10 where it meets the roof deck. In addition, there is a total min. chimney height measured from the base of the fireplace to the flue gas outlet. This is usually a min. of 12ft.

The termination cap is damaged. It has been smashed to the side about 2-3 inches and the mesh damaged.

The piece of sheetmetal is not an approved clearance reduction system and it may actually cause a problem in torrential rains by haystacking heavy water runoff into the concentric ring of the chimney channeling water down into the home.

Check the mfrs. listed instructions for full info.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.