Default Condensate line termination

I looked thru previous threads but can't find code for condensate line termination requirements. The one I inspected yesterday terminated at soffit 20 feet above ground level. I know it's wrong but can't find documentation. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Condensate line termination

Might not be wrong.

Could be from the auxiliary drain pan, which is required to drain to a conspicuous place, which is usually from a soffit over a window.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, There is no auxillary pan, which I wrote up also. Installation is in attic with primary condensate line terminating at soffit and secondary has an overflow stop switch in it.

307.2.1 Condensate disposal.
    Condensate from all cooling coils and evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. When unable to drain by gravity a condensate pump may be used. Where pumps are used, they shall be installed with factory equipped auxiliary high level switch and shall shut off equipment served upon activation of the auxiliary high level switch. Where damage to any building components will occur as a result of over flow from the pump, the pump shall also be located in the auxiliary drain pan or in a separate drain pan equipped with a separate drain line or water level detection device. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance.

Where is an approved place of disposal?

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Might not be wrong.

Could be from the auxiliary drain pan, which is required to drain to a conspicuous place, which is usually from a soffit over a window.
    JP: Refresh my memory. Was it not you who stated at some point in this time line we call life that terminating condensate lines to drain outside of houses is not allowed?

Default Mobius Corp. Condensate Driain System

Just wondering if I should write up the discharge point of this condensate pump as "lacking an air gap"..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Refresh my memory. Was it not you who stated at some point in this time line we call life that terminating condensate lines to drain outside of houses is not allowed?
    I missed this post earlier, put the answer is nope, not me.

Might be a case of me not writing something which jumps out and grabs you and shakes you to get your attention, like on that other post.

Maybe I need to do something like ...

HEY AARON! READ THIS!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Mobius Corp. Condensate Drain System

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Just wondering if I should write up the discharge point of this condensate pump as "lacking an air gap"..
    Michael,

WTH is that tube which is draining INTO the secondary condensate opening with the PVC elbowed and turned upward?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

That's the line from the condensate pump!

Yeah, that's right.... round and round, and round it goes....

This is the same building with condenser side of he Window AC sticking out into the utility area for the furnace and the other pics I posted elsewhere.

And there's more - much more - I've not bothered to post.

You can't MAKE this stuff up.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-19-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Michael Thomas

That's the line from the condensate pump!

Yeah, that's right.... round and round, and round it goes....

Michael,

Dang!

What a BRILLIANT idea, I mean it, just think, with that constant flow the condensate pan is NEVER going to clog up and overflow as it is continually being flushed out!

Um ... but where does all the NEW condensate go when it is generated ... ?????

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Why, into the plastic wastepaper basket, of course - why do you suppose the system is provided with a "continuous bleed orifice" (AKA "leak", to the uninitiated) at the hose/pump connection?

This is one slick system Jerry - the designers at Mobius Inc. though of everything, and he installers were really top notch.

And who are WE to second guess them? - I expect this innovation will become the new industry standard in the REO market before long.

Michael Thomas

Why, into the plastic wastepaper basket, of course - why do you suppose the system is provided with a "continuous bleed orifice" (AKA "leak", to the uninitiated) at the hose/pump connection?
    Michael,

Not wanting to second guess those genius, but ... I suppose they have incorporated some method of evaporation into the waste basket bottom, obviously passive as there is no visible power source, to keep the condensate collecting in the waste basket from overflowing ... ?

Or is that the flaw in the perpetual motion machine, in that the collection device (waste basket) is manually operated in the removal of excess water?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Indeed, that is potential flaw, but there is a device call a "brim" on the wastebasket, and if the level of the water is higher than the brim an audible alarm known as an "overflow drip alert" informs occupants (conveniently located in an adjacent bedroom) the the container must be emptied - an excellent solution as no batteries or other additional external power source is needed to guarantee operation. As a final backup, if occupants to not respond to the alert, in 12-24 hours an "auxiliary overflow drip alarm" will also start to sound in the apartment below.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-20-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Michael Thomas

A.D. Miller Guest

I am having a difficult time believing that you two are extolling the relative merits of a trash can with water in it.

I am having a difficult time believing that you two are extolling the relative merits of a trash can with water in it.
    Huh?

"relative merits"?

We are discussing the "relative drawbacks" of the manually operated condensate collection and disposal system and its back-up alarms, not the least of which will be "squish" as in 'stepping out onto the floor and going "squish" in the pre-planned water level alarm.

For the audible portion of that alarm I do not see the recommended chafed, worn, frayed, and cracked 18-2 SPT extension cord laying on the floor for water detection. The placement of a foot in that alarming water creates the audible.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Well, you probably have actual work to do this afternoon,whereas I'm sitting around catching up on client follow-up and editing the latest round of changes to my report template.

Michael Thomas