Default Another ground connection

This remote, older fused panel is fed from the main service equipment off a 30 amp breaker.

The branch-wire grounds were originally back wrapped on the romex connectors and I wrote it up. They have since asked me to inspect their repair for this.

Are these crimped ground connectors a correct fix?

Do you see any other problems in this panel that I should also note.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Another ground connection

Completely and totally wrong.

Did you also notice the neutral in the 2nd photo which is mostly not under its terminal screw? The neutral which has the insulation pinched under its terminal screw?

Did you check to verify the neutral terminal block was not bonded to ground? Many of those old fuse boxes were made as service equipment only and those neutral terminal blocks are permanently fixed (bonded) to ground. Which would mean that would need to be replaced with a new panel as it is no longer service equipment.

Also, many insurance companies will not insure a house with fuses.

I find it difficult to imagine that an electrician would add all that new NM cable wiring and NOT change the fuse box out. Surely they could have talked a reluctant customer into replacing it with a nice new breaker panel.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I am sure you mentioned the open wire splices outside the box in the lower left wrapped in tape...

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I am sure you mentioned the open wire splices outside the box in the lower left wrapped in tape...

Bruce ... dyslexic today ... ?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ray Norton Guest

Wow, I agree with Jerry. Additionally, I believe crimping is allowed by NEC 110.12 but you can't terminate those equipment grounding conductors to the Romex connectors. The connection needs to be made to a ground bar in the panel. I see the need for a new sub panel here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    Additionally, I believe crimping is allowed by NEC 110.12 ...

Ray,

I believe you picked the wrong code section?

- 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
    - - Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
    - - - - FPN: Accepted industry practices are described in ANSI/NECA 1-2006, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting, and other ANSI-approved installation standards.
    - - - (A) Unused Openings. Unused openings, other than those intended for the operation of equipment, those intended for mounting purposes, or those permitted as part of the design for listed equipment, shall be closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment. Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm (¼ in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.
    - - - (B) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Those taped wires on lower right are for low voltage lighting. You can see the light ballast (circular) on the J-box.

Ray Norton Guest

Yup, it's 110.14 (A), mentioning pressure connectors. I never saw those used before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Those taped wires on lower right are for low voltage lighting. You can see the light ballast (circular) on the J-box.
    Ken,

That is a relay for the low voltage lights. When you operate the low voltage switch, the low voltage switch clicks that back and forth between 'ON' and 'OFF' depending on how the switch was operated.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com