imported_John Smith Guest

Default Nail plate protection for conductors

My Code Check book indicates "protect cable when <1-1/4" to stud or joist edge".

If the conductor is "centered" in a hole that's outer edge is < than 1-1/4" from stud or joist edge does it need a nail plate? Is it 1-1/4" to the conductor or 1-1/4" to the edge of the hole?

Wire within the hole can be moved and could be moved to the edge of the hole that is < than 1-1/4".

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Nail plate protection for conductors

See photo. I forgot to attach it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

If the NM cable is not tied in the center of the larger hole and is allowed to float around in that larger hole, then it needs a nail plate.

The requirement is 1-1/4" to the *conductor*, not the hole, and if the conductor moves to within that 1-1/4" because the hole is too large, then, yes, the nail plate is needed.

There are two other choices: a) drill a properly sized hole; b) secure the NM cable so it cannot move to within 1-1/4" of the edge of the stud.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

There are two other choices: a) drill a properly sized hole; b) secure the NM cable so it cannot move to within 1-1/4" of the edge of the stud
    JP: Either option would be a cinch for most folks. But, for Sparkys, it's a big challege to find the right drill bit or remember what the hell they did with those funny u-shaed nails.

Hard to tell, but it looks like they have one on the stud adjacent... perhaps they just ran out of nail guards :-)

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

Ray Norton Guest

Is that a 1-inch hole? I would definately make this guy nail plate until he learns to use a 1/2 to 3/4" hole. But looking at the picture it appears that the remaining stud is very close to 1-1/4 ". We don't want to be picking fly poop out of pepper either.

A.D. Miller Guest

We don't want to be picking fly poop out of pepper either.
    RN: JP will simply not comprehend that statement!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    Is that a 1-inch hole? I would definately make this guy nail plate until he learns to use a 1/2 to 3/4" hole. But looking at the picture it appears that the remaining stud is very close to 1-1/4 ". We don't want to be picking fly poop out of pepper either.
    Learns? What is wrong with a 1" hole in a 2x4?

7/8" or 1" is SOP. Anyone roughing-in a house with 1/2" holes is asking for WAY more work than necessary and way more holes than needed.

In fact, I fail to see the problem in the image above. Looks like exactly 1-1/4" to me.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    In fact, I fail to see the problem in the image above. Looks like exactly 1-1/4" to me.
    SP: Until the wind blows.

Ray Norton Guest

A 3/4 inch hole is SOP in my neck of the woods, and more than enough to accomplish the task. But, nothing would be wrong with a 1-inch hole if it was perfectly centered in the stud width. Why would any self respecting mechanic drill holes so much larger than what is needed and so close to non-compliance? That simply makes no sense to me. If you are drilling 1-inch holes I hope you have an extra supply of nail plates, you'll need them.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    A 3/4 inch hole is SOP in my neck of the woods, and more than enough to accomplish the task. But, nothing would be wrong with a 1-inch hole if it was perfectly centered in the stud width. Why would any self respecting mechanic drill holes so much larger than what is needed and so close to non-compliance? That simply makes no sense to me. If you are drilling 1-inch holes I hope you have an extra supply of nail plates, you'll need them.
    RN: Agreed on all points. Sparkys here buy 1" drill bits by the case . . . and nail plates by the container.

For all those who think that shows 1-1/4" from the edge of the stud to the edge of the hole, here is a better view of it - until you look closely ... the grain and markings in the wood creates an optical illusion as to where the edge of the stud actually is.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ray, are you kidding "self respecting mechanic"???
    If you ever make it to Houston, give me a call and I will take you to a job site and show you some of our "mechanics". I may even give you an ICE jacket just to watch the fun when we show up at the job site.

Im sure some of my peers in this area know exactly where to look on the job site to find the empty 12 pack boxes and containers.

Using whirlpool tubs for toilets, cutting wall studs with what appears to be axes or maybe a hungry beaver. We see some very funny stuff.

I once saw nails driven into a roof rafter illustrating a bulls head for no apparent reason. True artistry