Default Report writing time

WTH...am I the only one in here that takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to write a report ? It's 12:30 AM, this stinks. Back in the old days I used to be able to do 3 reports a night. Now Im lucky to get one and a quarter. I should just go to triplicates. Or maybe I should start my reports as soon as I get home instead of loggin into here for 3 hours, at least that's what my wife says.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Report writing time

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    WTH...am I the only one in here that takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to write a report ? It's 12:30 AM, this stinks. Back in the old days I used to be able to do 3 reports a night. Now Im lucky to get one and a quarter. I should just go to triplicates. Or maybe I should start my reports as soon as I get home instead of loggin into here for 3 hours, at least that's what my wife says.
    MM: Judging from their blather on other threads I believe several such as JP, SP, RB, et al., spend days just doing the inspections. It stands to reason that their reports also take days to complete.

i'm about the same 2-3 hours and the same at the site. Used to do 1.5-1.5. I just don't move that fast anymore and am in no rush to apply chapstik and KBA.
    I guess when report writing takes the whole day, it's time to retire

A.D. Miller Guest

I guess when report writing takes the whole day, it's time to retire
    WS: Yep.

I would say that a report for a home between 2,000sf and 3,000sf will take on the average about 45 min to 1 hour for me to complete. While I'm at the home, I have already entered all of the problems I find into my software. When I get back to the office I polish up the comments, add additional verbaige and photos.

Even if I'm working off notes and photos, I would say it only adds about an extra thirty minutes to my reporting time.

What or how are you writing your report?

Are you writing long paragraphs and providing too much information in your reports?

It use to take me a great deal longer to compile a report, but I have found that I have become quicker as I have increased my writing skills. Say more with fewer words!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

providing too much information in your reports?
    SP: And you believe this is possible?

A.D. Miller Guest

Say more with fewer words!
    Foundation broke.
    Grading dirt.
    Roof up.
    Attic under roof.
    Walls upright.
    Floors walkable.
    Ceilings mostly horizontal.
    Deck wrong.
    Stairs uplifting.
    Flatwork flat.
    Electrical shocking.
    Plumbing wet.
    HVAC hot and cold
    Appliances applied.
    Termites ubiquitous.
    Pool full of water.
    Give me money.
    The end.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    SP: And you believe this is possible?
    Yes it is very possible to have a report with information overload.

I have seen folks including verbaige in their reports that really has little to anyting to do with the inspection. Everything from how well the house looks from the street to the amount of weeds in the backyard.

Another problem I see is what I call "Inspectorspeak", in the reports. Large cumbersome paragraphs that make no logical sense. It looks like the author is trying to impress the reader with their use of technical and misused terms. We have all seen this type of report.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'm just stating the facts. What it is, where it is, recommendations. Ya know, stuff that (hopefully) wont get me sued. This is california.
    It is a 100% narritive software program
    I thought it was due to the crappy REO's, soooo many things wrong with these houses out here. It's not like i've changed my inspection routine.
    If i could get away with writing a report just like A.D.'s example, I could do 3 inspections a day! More $$$$

MM: Judging from their blather on other threads I believe several such as JP, SP, RB, et al., spend days just doing the inspections. It stands to reason that their reports also take days to complete.
    LOL, Thats funny... I was there once also, 13 years ago when I first started.

Some houses will take much longer than others, the ones that were built wrong to start with and not maintained will have anywhere from 60 to 150 issues. Some multiple issues can be lumped into one writeup easily like multiple loose outlets, multiple loose toilets and multiple locations with siding rot.

NC is trying to make inspectors improve their report writing and have had required training on this for years now. I suspect it is a direct result of "almost every single investigation has shown poor inspecting and poor reporting practices that do not meet the standards of practice." I think most of the guy's that have been around for a number of years are still leaning towards abbreviated inspections in order to "make more money in less time".

They want us to include these in every statement:

Describe: What is it and where is it located.

Determine: What is wrong with it or why you are concerned.

Implication: What can happen if nothing is done.

Direction: What action should be taken and what trade or professional should be consulted to address the concern. Include the appropriate recommendation for repair and/or further investigation and/or subsequent monitoring as necessary.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    They want us to include these in every statement:

Describe: What is it and where is it located.

Determine: What is wrong with it or why you are concerned.

Implication: What can happen if nothing is done.

Direction: What action should be taken and what trade or professional should be consulted to address the concern. Include the appropriate recommendation for repair and/or further investigation and/or subsequent monitoring as necessary.
    The above is pretty much what ASHI has required their members to do for about the past 7-8 years. I think most competent inspectors have always done it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Scott

I know you have said in the past that you do not do the reports on site. Entering all the pertinent info on site is the only way to go. It keeps you from second guessing yourself later on. You get that extra look.

I have stated this for years. I refuse to just do the inspection on site and never touch the report while there.

You do not have to complete it on site but why anyone would want to go home at the end of the day and now have to do a full report or 2 is beside me.

If I do not enter as I go the report takes a minimum of 2 hours and up at home. When I say "as I go" I inspect the exterior and enter my findings when done. I inspect the interior and add items when done. I ionspect the attic and add items when done. Is it complete one I leave...sometimes...Is it always complete when I leave...no......Is it time to do the entire report one I get home...almost never.

Even if you do the entire inspection first and then enter your findings on site at least it is mostly completed. If you fell comfortable with the report then you can print it out and hand a copy to your client with the words "I will review it when I get home and send you a new copy if changes are made". A good bit of the time it just gets emailed later but I go over the findings with my client on site.

I am also a believer that most of the time less is more. Pretty much what Bruce said. Clients could care less about the history and progression of the home inspection business and a 40 year speal about the changes in code over time.

What's wrong....Where it is.......What is the recommendation for follow up and or repair.

Beyond that the clients could care less. Do I ever tell them I cannot see thru walls or floors and if there is plumbing in the floor or walls I cannot see it ???????????? Why would I do that. Go ahead and laugh. There are many out there that feel it is necessary to protect themselves.

One kind soul said that I should be printing out the SOPs for my clients. Again, why would I do that. Right on the front page of the inspection report they are diorected to the TREC website for any clarity needed.

Oh well. I am done.

Now I can get back to the web search result repair and get the phone ringing some more.

This google map thing is killing me. It use to be 3 inspectors next to the map and now it is 10 or so. The organic search has died for me here. I screwed my map listing up and for the past couple weeks the calls have bottomed from the internet.

Oh well, that is another thread I guess.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Yes it is very possible to have a report with information overload.

I have seen folks including verbaige in their reports that really has little to anyting to do with the inspection. Everything from how well the house looks from the street to the amount of weeds in the backyard.

Another problem I see is what I call "Inspectorspeak", in the reports. Large cumbersome paragraphs that make no logical sense. It looks like the author is trying to impress the reader with their use of technical and misused terms. We have all seen this type of report.
    SP: So then, what I hear you saying is that inspectors can include superfluous, impertinent, or illogical information in their reports. On that we can agree.

I have often seen reports that go on and on about how the house faces SSW, it is 82.3° F., partly cloudy with a slight breeze from the south, birds singing were not visible and not immediately recognizable by the inspector who is not a degreed ornithologist . . . there was a female in a bikini by the pool that was drinking something from a glass which contained a multi-colored umbrella approximately 5" in height . . .

That does not however equate to providing too much information, but rather just the wrong kind of information.

A.D. Miller Guest

I am also a believer that most of the time less is more.
    TM: Agreed. Less information provided is more liabilty accrued.

Oh well. I am done.
    TM: Well, that was quick.

Ted Menelly Guest

TM: Agreed. Less information provided is more liabilty accrued.

TM: Well, that was quick.
    Come on no

You have Scott and Jerry to get on today

Scott at never doing the report on site like he has always said but then says he inputs all the serious findings and concerns on site. It may be finished later and reviewed but it is still done on site.

Jerry with 3 to five days in one home and most of them were in the 8 to 10,000 range. Thousands of dollars for the inspection. Now that should keep you busy for days.

Or even our friend Rick at a few days in a 5,000 sq ft home. Now I know he was pulling our legs.

Oh yeah

When I said less is more I meant less but the right info was more instead of more and nothing to do with the inspection.

As far as me. I am just a little ole Fort Worth Inspector. I aint nothin to pick on.

A.D. Miller Guest

You have Scott and Jerry to get on today
    TM: SP's too nice and JP's to nasty.

Jerry with 3 to five days in one home and most of them were in the 8 to 10,000 range. Thousands of dollars for the inspection. Now that should keep you busy for days.
    TM: Note that JP has never offered to disclose to us one of his all-week reports. The bandwidth necessary might bog down the Hann's circus.

Or even our friend Rick at a few days in a 5,000 sq ft home. Now I know he was pulling our legs.
    TM: RH is certainly not above that strategy.

As far as me. I am just a little ole Fort Worth Inspector. I aint nothin to pick on.
    TM: You're too easy . . .

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 08-16-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Average for me is around 45 mins to an hour but there is a wide range. A new place with nothing wrong is 15 minutes to identify the correct materials in the report, put the buyer's name on it, pdf it and email it.

A dump report can easily be a couple hours or more. Over the last year or so I've really made an effort to get a good library of prewritten comments down and it's helped greatly. Particularly on newer homes that tend to have the same problems. Older houses definitely take longer... there's just no way around it.

I also find that if I stop somewhere and type my report while away from home it goes MUCH faster because there are minimal distractions and I want to get done. Working at home a 1 hour report can easily take 3. Also, I think the finished product is better when I'm focused versus starting and stopping alll the time.

TM: RH is certainly not above that strategy.
    there was a female in a bikini by the pool that was drinking something from a glass which contained a multi-colored umbrella approximately 5" in height . . .

Enough said.......

Give me money.

Still too many words: Pay Me.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    JP: Ca-ching?

LOL, still too much liability there...

5 letters + 1 space = 6 characters

JP: Ca-ching?
    7 letters + 1 special character = 8 characters

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

5 letters + 1 space = 6 characters

7 letters + 1 special character = 8 characters

JP: Money

A.D. Miller Guest

JP: PAY

A.D. Miller Guest

JP: $

JP: Money
    JP: PAY
    JP: $

Except that mine says who the money is going to (and who is paying the money - the implied person you are speaking to): "Pay Me."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just wondering, it sounds like you guys back east have very stringent regulations. What's that all about? I assume it weeds out the rif raf..? One would assume that with all the crap we have to deal with in this state, "we" would have the most stringent rules and regs. What say you?

Russel Ray Guest

Time to compile the report on a 1,500-SF scraper:

Classical music - one hour
    Beatles - nine hours
    Star Trek TV series - two hours
    Star Trek movies - four hours
    Any half-hour sitcom - 1½ hours

So the most efficient use of my time, i.e., multitasking, is with classical music playing. Anything else end I get distracted either singing or watching.

Well its Monday and I'm still working on a report from last Thursday. I've had plenty distractions I quess.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Well its Monday and I'm still working on a report from last Thursday. I've had plenty distractions I quess.

rick

Your just getting old

No the problem is that someone is trying to buy a big foreclosure home that I believe was inhabited by a family of racoons. The report has turned into another one of those coffee table type books on what you should not do to a home.

Buyer was heading out of town for a few days and said they didn't need the report till this Wednesday, so I've taken my time.

rick

I've tried leaving the computer home and working from notes and pics. Doesn't work for me. I guess it is the way I was trained. The company I used to work with did all their reports and printed on-site. On top of that, we often did three a day! Talk about liability!

With the properly set up reporting software, you can get through most inspections in a couple of hours. When you walk out the door, 80+% of the report is done. Now I just need to flesh it out a bit and add the pics. The pics ARE my notes. I take a pic of anything that stands still long enough to get focus on. Browsing through these later at the office is a good mind jog and that lets me jump back and add in the details in the areas needed. Works pretty well for me.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

A.D. Miller Guest

The company I used to work with did all their reports and printed on-site. On top of that, we often did three a day! Talk about liability!
    DB: Drive-byinspections.com?