Default Its Back to School Time

So it should be expected to slow down a bit for a few weeks.

The management request that we have NO whining about it please.

Are the fish biting?

rick

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Its Back to School Time

The management ??????? Such as your better half ????

You got that right, Ted.

She's got a honey-do list for me she says if I'm slow.

Gosh, its nice being swamped.

rick

Yes it is Back to School Time! Watch those School Speed Zones!

I just gave a donation to the County today! Speed Zone last year was 20 MPH they changed it to 15 MPH over the summer! I thought I was doing good and low and behold I got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the limit in a school zone this morning.

First ticket I have had in 30 years! They are not giving any break on the posted speed limit in schools zones, for this I'm very happy with! Speeding in schools zones should not be tolerated, I just wish I had noticed the new BLINKING SIGN with the 15 MPH on it!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

I just gave a donation to the County today! Speed Zone last year was 20 MPH the changed it to 15 MPH over the summer! I thought I was doing good and low and behold I got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the limit in a school zone this morning.

First ticket I have had in 30 years! They are not giving any break on the posted speed limit in schools zones, for this I'm very happy with! Speeding in schools zones should not be tolerated, I just wish I had noticed the new BLINKING SIGN with the 15 MPH on it!

20 is not speeding. It is taking a knap

15 is flat out sleeping. I have to hold my foot partially on the break to go 20. At 15 I will be applying pressure.

Yeah yeah

I get the school zone thing .....but 15 mph

Don't be on a cellphone while in a school zone either. They'll nail your butt to the wall. At least here in Texas they will. New state law.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    20 is not speeding. It is taking a knap

15 is flat out sleeping. I have to hold my foot partially on the break to go 20. At 15 I will be applying pressure.

Yeah yeah

I get the school zone thing .....but 15 mph
    Hey, this is on a state highway! The ones in the neighborhoods are 10 MPH!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I notice around here that the school zones in the burbs are strictly enforced and observed, yet you never see a kid anywhere. None of them walk to school. They all get driven, either in cars or school buses.
    But, in the city, where tons of kids are out on the sidewalks and walking to school from home or a city bus, the speed zones are universally ignored, by drivers and cops alike.
    Just one of those WTF moments.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I just gave a donation to the County today! Speed Zone last year was 20 MPH they changed it to 15 MPH over the summer! I thought I was doing good and low and behold I got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the limit in a school zone this morning.

Good thing you were not in Florida - speeding fines are doubled in school zones.

That 5 MPH over ticket would have been over $150.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

In my hometown, 5 over in school zone would cost you 202.00

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

Now that sounds like experience talking ole wise one.

In answer to your original question, Rick: Yes, they are biting GOOD!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Thanks Erby.

Think tomm. I'll go hang my pole in the water.

rick

Busy, Busy here..... No time for fishing - for a change.

It's hard to know what to expect this fall. The market is still generally slow compared to historical numbers but the buyer credit could help the fall but that might be overblown since it's just first time buyers.

I was just looking at my schedule for the week realizing I have pretty much all houses over 3500 sq ft... So, not exactly first timers.... but I think it's just a fluke.

Ahhh, the little 5mph over the limit will cost me $187.50! Just called the County Clerk at the court house!

Now, depending when the speed limit was changed I might not have to pay the fine. When I told the Clerk that the sign was 20 MPH just a week or two ago, she said that they are to only issue a warning for the first 30 days if you are at or under the old speed limit! So, I get to go to traffic court in a couple of weeks! Whoopee!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Ahhh, the little 5mph over the limit will cost me $187.50! Just called the County Clerk at the court house!

Now, depending when the speed limit was changed I might not have to pay the fine. When I told the Clerk that the sign was 20 MPH just a week or two ago, she said that they are to only issue a warning for the first 30 days if you are at or under the old speed limit! So, I get to go to traffic court in a couple of weeks! Whoopee!
    Yep, me to. I had my picture taken at a light supposedly not making a complete stop at the light before turning right. I remember the day exactly. Over cast. I stopped at the light and it took my picture. I saw the flash come from behind me. Turned right and about a car length into the right turn another flash from behind me. Got the pictures in the mail with the to points of pictures abour a 1 1/2 seconds apart. Funny. Just enough to move a car length after the stop. They want 75 and I aint buying it. I have not had a ticket or accident against me for years ands I will be damned if I will have one against me for the next five years because of a screwed up electonic devise.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 08-18-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Ted, to my understanding, these citations do not count as moving violations on your record, only civil penalties. Still not pleasant to deal with though.
    I think they have been having issues with the right on red in the metroplex, you need to talk to a person and maybe get someone with some sense to clear up the issue.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The only moving violations I have witnessed over the last week are the slow players on the course in front of me. That to do list can wait for better weather but if it's slow,4444444444444444444444444444444444rrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Ted, to my understanding, these citations do not count as moving violations on your record, only civil penalties. Still not pleasant to deal with though.
    I think they have been having issues with the right on red in the metroplex, you need to talk to a person and maybe get someone with some sense to clear up the issue.

Thats the plan. Like I said it is bad enough having one mans word against another but to have a machine to say you are wrong and it is right is not acceptable at all.

In the past I have handed an attorney 75 dollars and never hear from a ticket complaint again. Have not had to do that in some time and I do not know if they stand up against the cameras or not. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Ron Bibler Guest

Are the fish biting? rick
    With the slow down and the cost of gas going up and down has had me thinking for some time now about a new used boat. Ive had 6 over the years most sky boats and one drag 1967 Stevens with a 440 V-drive very fast boat. But now I see some great deals on some 40 and 50 foot boats with twin diesels. I'm just 30min away form the marina with a back door to the delta and the San Francisco bay

The Delta get the Striper run each year 30, 40, 50lbs Striper hold on bub.

The wife is not so up on the idea But I think she will come a round.

Its still just a...in the back of the mind idea... but thats a good place to start...

I saw one last month 45foot full cabin with a flying bridge $ 25K 3 years ago this $ 100K boat Some people are under these boats just like there homes.

Best

Ron

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The "slow speed" school zones that get me are the ones that are set 100+ yards back from the road and there is no way any child from that school will be anywhere close to the road.

Edward Loughran Guest

Ted
    You sound just like me. I said there was no way I rolled the stop sign. But the web site has the video. The videos are all reviewed by law enforcment officers before a citation is issued. Good luck.

On the right on red cameras, the camera uses the white strip as a gauge. So if you stop back from the line and then proceed, it says you did not stop, also if you stop and then inch out to see around traffic, it says you ran the light. It is legal in Texas to make a right on a red light AFTER stopping, but the still cameras are not good at recognizing anything that falls outside the programing parameters. If you stopped, you might be able to contest it and win. Of course if you are busy, how much is your time worth to contest it vs. how much is the ticket? Now if you are like Rick and I with lots of time on your hands right now, then maybe it is worth it to save $75.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Just watched the video....About a thousand times. Yes I stopped but I guess it is what one calls stopping. Does a hundredth of a second count. Back and forth, back and forth. About a hundredth of a second. I new I stopped that day and always but I truly believe they are not going to call it a stop. I did check about the ticket being on my insurance and supposedly not but for some reason I am not buying it.

Oh well. We will see. Again, that hundredth of a second stop I am sure they will not count.

Just watched the video....About a thousand times. Yes I stopped but I guess it is what one calls stopping. Does a hundredth of a second count. Back and forth, back and forth. About a hundredth of a second. I new I stopped that day and always but I truly believe they are not going to call it a stop. I did check about the ticket being on my insurance and supposedly not but for some reason I am not buying it.

Oh well. We will see. Again, that hundredth of a second stop I am sure they will not count.
    You probably were not going fast enough for this effect to happen, but many policemen I have talked with state that "if the rear of the car settles down on its springs, the car stopped" and "if the rear of the car has not settled down on its springs, the car was still in forward motion".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

On a bike you must put your foot down. then go. Try that in your car Ted.

Best

Ron

David Argabright Guest

I for one am glad that things have slowed down a little. It gave me a chance to get away from the grind for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    On the right on red cameras, the camera uses the white strip as a gauge. So if you stop back from the line and then proceed, it says you did not stop, also if you stop and then inch out to see around traffic, it says you ran the light. It is legal in Texas to make a right on a red light AFTER stopping, but the still cameras are not good at recognizing anything that falls outside the programing parameters. If you stopped, you might be able to contest it and win. Of course if you are busy, how much is your time worth to contest it vs. how much is the ticket? Now if you are like Rick and I with lots of time on your hands right now, then maybe it is worth it to save $75.

Jim,

That slow time actually lasted about 2 days. Back to the grind.

rick

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I've got a few on the schedule for this week but phone calls and e-mail inquiries have tailed off and website traffic is down.