Default Sloped step flashing on skylight?

I've never seen this before and first just thought the step flashing was installed incorrectly. Now that I get home and look at the pictures closer it looks like the skylight might be made that way.

All that I have ever seen (except the mobile home junkers that have no step flashing) have the step flashing completely perpendicular to the roof surface. The odd thing is there's another skylight a couple feet away that is the normal way.

Is anyone aware of a skylight that has that is sloped in this manner and results in step flashing on an angle?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Sloped step flashing on skylight?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I've never seen this before and first just thought the step flashing was installed incorrectly. Now that I get home and look at the pictures closer it looks like the skylight might be made that way.

All that I have ever seen (except the mobile home junkers that have no step flashing) have the step flashing completely perpendicular to the roof surface. The odd thing is there's another skylight a couple feet away that is the normal way.

Is anyone aware of a skylight that has that is sloped in this manner and results in step flashing on an angle?
    MF: Just looks like last-task-on-Friday sloppy crap to me.

It looks like they took the shingles and ran them up the side wall of the skylite.

I think your first thoughts were correct. Assuming the openings are ordinary wood frame, there's no logical reason for the framing crew to build one skylight opening different from the other. The roofer goof left a gap between the flashings and the frame. One thing for sure. It might leak.

the sky light box it low IMO.
    The are flashed like chimneys.

That sky light box looks like it has can strip for flat BUR roofing striping on it. Its hard to tell if it should be called out.
    What does the head wall flashing look like.
    If it to is sloped the water coming downstream will have a raceway to climb.
    Need more images.
    Its incorrectly flashed.
    Need more images to tell if it will leak..

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    What does the head wall flashing look like.
    I can't remember what I had for lunch today.... I surely can't remember this from 4 years ago

It's funny.... I started reading this thread and looking at the pictures and had to laugh when I realized I started the thread. The lawsuit was settled 2 years ago and I haven't thought much about it since then

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    One thing for sure. It might leak.
    I agree with you 100%. I would go so far as to say the odds that it might leak are 100%!!!

I can't remember what I had for lunch today.... I surely can't remember this from 4 years ago

It's funny.... I started reading this thread and looking at the pictures and had to laugh when I realized I started the thread. The lawsuit was settled 2 years ago and I haven't thought much about it since then
    This is classified as a "senior moment". I've been having them since I'm a kid.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Sorry Matt.

I misread the date as 4 months ago.
    Been some time sense visiting Inspection News MB. I will get the hang of it.
    Best regards.
    Robert

PS: Food to help with loss of memory.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”