Default Is this Rockwool insulation?

Looking at the pictures, does this appear to be Rockwool insulation. Also is that vent line wrapped with Asbestos insulation?

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Is this Rockwool insulation?

The first photo looks like cellulose and the subsequent pictures look like rock wool.
    Don't see anything that looks like asbestos on the duct work.

To clarify: there is insulation on the ceiling (I agree with Raymond that looks like cellulose); and there is insulation on the duct work (I disagree with Raymond on that, to me that insulation looks like fiberglass).

You could say the duct insulation is "mineral wool" as both "rock wool" and "fiberglass" are "mineral wool".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

You could say the duct insulation is "mineral wool" as both "rock wool" and "fiberglass" are "mineral wool".
    JP: Maybe. That all depends on who you ask. Technically "rock wool" is a thermal insulation material composed of threads or filaments of slag, produced by reprocessing the residual materials from metals smelting.

Though it may be true that the unwashed use the terms "rock wool" and "fiberglass" interchangeably the two terms denote entirely different materials. There is however the term "glass wool" that would be appropriate when referring to fiberglass insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Maybe. That all depends on who you ask. Technically "rock wool" is a thermal insulation material composed of threads or filaments of slag, produced by reprocessing the residual materials from metals smelting.

Though it may be true that the unwashed use the terms "rock wool" and "fiberglass" interchangeably the two terms denote entirely different materials. There is however the term "glass wool" that would be appropriate when referring to fiberglass insulation.

Aaron,

You need to go back and re-read what I wrote.

I do not see where I said those terms could be used interchangeably, I only see where I said: " both "rock wool" and "fiberglass" are "mineral wool". "

BOTH ... ARE ... "mineral wool".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

You need to go back and re-read what I wrote.

I do not see where I said those terms could be used interchangeably, I only see where I said: " both "rock wool" and "fiberglass" are "mineral wool". "

BOTH ... ARE ... "mineral wool".
    JP: That is quite correct. Your fault though, because the phrase did not just jump out at me. Work on that, will you?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I agree that the first picture with blue insulation looks to be a form of cellulose insulation, specifically looks like spun cotton insulation may have been unfaced batt. This type of insulation is borate treated to resist pests and offer fire resistance and usually contains a fair amount of recycled denim, and usually has a characteristic blue tint, it can be applied blown, or installed in batt form, faced or unfaced.

The faced insulation on duct work may be spun fiber "mineral wool".

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I agree that the first picture with blue insulation looks to be a form of cellulose insulation, specifically looks like spun cotton insulation may have been unfaced batt. This type of insulation is borate treated to resist pests and offer fire resistance and usually contains a fair amount of recycled denim, and usually has a characteristic blue tint, it can be applied blown, or installed in batt form, faced or unfaced.

The faced insulation on duct work may be spun fiber "mineral wool".
    HG: Long time no hear.