Thread: Ridge vent

william siegel Guest

Default Ridge vent

This was a ridge vent with on a flat concrete tile roof. Does anyone know if they make a different ridge tile for this application or even if this application is approved for use on a tile roof.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Ridge vent

Bill,

That is all wrong.

As you discussed by lifting that tile (being able to lift that tile, not only is it not secured down, the ridge tile is required to overlap that tile by the minimum 3" head lap amount and all other requirements.

Was that a mortar down system which was loose? Adhesive (foam) down? Mechanically fastened?

The edges of the ridge tiles are required to be pointed up with mortar, which makes venting them as shown impossible. Besides, the ridge tiles are required to be attached to a ridge nailer, which would effectively close up any ventilating slot left for that purpose.

My guess is that concrete tile roof was applied to a house with shingles and a ridge vent, and the owner did not want to do away with the ridge vent, so the tile was installed incorrectly to accommodate a ridge vent which should not have been there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

Believe it or not this (I believe) is the original roof. It is on a townhome complex in Plantation built in 1997 just east of Nob Hill Rd on Broward Blvd. I forgot my binoculars, so I could not tell if the other roofs were also like this. I was flabergasted to see someting like this. If you look closely under the ridge tiles you can see exposed tin tags.

Bill,

Looks like that is 43# base sheet, non-granular coated, which was used under System One tile roofs, mostly the unsealed type, which would require all the flashings on top of the tile, which would not allow for that at all. Those systems were mechanically fastened.

Does that description sound like what you saw? In part or in whole?

There were A LOT of those roofs installed in Plantation and Sunrise around that time frame, there were many in The Residences of Sawgrass Mills (many owners where having problems and I inspected many for the owners, the builder started replacing the roofs even though the roofs were only a year or two old, but then stopped as it was casting too much and they had finished all they were building in that subdivision, when they moved out, they stopped replacing the roofs.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

Thanks for the input. That looks about right.

I am not getting too involved in this roof other than to report that it is not installed properly and list the problems. It is an association roof and the client is fine with that. I know I should be more of a hardass on this one, but I also dont want to beat my head against the wall (not getting paid enough for that).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Brown View Post
    Greetings! In photo 021 & 024, is not that curved blue metal the actual vent?
    Those are used for exhausting bath fans and clothes dryers through the roof.

If they were installed for off-ridge attic ventilation they would be too small to do much good.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Restoration Guest

I had once been faced with the same problem. These are some very useful suggestions.