Thread: FP Thermostat

Mark Schniers Guest

Default FP Thermostat

An FP thermostat in my latest inspection was located in every room. They all 'clicked' when turned up but using my infrared thermometer, output was never detected. The controls apparently operated devices situated in the walls or ceilings. If they were mounted in the ceiling, they were concealed by blown-in cellulose. I called it out stating an HVAC tech should evaluate further.

Was there anything else I could have done to help these folks know if their system was working? Is there anybody here that is familiar with a concealed electric heating system that would have been installed in 1980 or before? (AO Smith water heater SER#M06-K 73 36600 (for age identification to possibly determine age of house if anybody would like to share))

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: FP Thermostat

could have been radiant ceiling heat. did you use your ir thermometer on the ceilings? what was the present heat in the home. Sometimes they abandoned the system and left tthe thermostats. what was the amperage of the main? If it had been radiant or is radiant the amperage would have to be more than average for that size home.
    Water heater is a 2006 by the serial# but sure looks older than that. Those were 3 hard years

Mark Schniers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    could have been radiant ceiling heat. did you use your ir thermometer on the ceilings? what was the present heat in the home. Sometimes they abandoned the system and left tthe thermostats. what was the amperage of the main? If it had been radiant or is radiant the amperage would have to be more than average for that size home.
    Water heater is a 2006 by the serial# but sure looks older than that. Those were 3 hard years
    I did shoot the ceiling but perhaps because of the sun beating down on the house there were no discernible temperature differences. I had 200 amps in the main panel w/3 breakers dedicated to the heat circuits. There was no other system installed.

I never saw a water heater in such bad shape. It of course was not operational.

If it were ceiling radiant covered with cellulose the attic temp would not affect the ceiling tiles. They would get up to 95 very quickly if they were working so they are probably in the same condition as the water heater. Are you sure you got that # right. That water heater looks like its 20 years old, not that it matters. By the way, what is your location?

Mark Schniers Guest

Thanks for your input Wayne. I am in Michigan