Default 18" copper lead in to water heater

Is the 18" copper lead in required for electric water heaters or is the rule intended for gas fueled water heaters only?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 18" copper lead in to water heater

No, there is no restriction on CPVC or PEX to an electric water heater, but ... that NM cable is not good like that.

T&P mounted in the side of the tank?

Cold water shut off valve up above?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is a shut off valve. The TPR valve is on the side but the discharge pipe is only a foot long. That's getting written up.

See that foundation? The year 1800.

I know here in Illinois they require unions to be installed on the water heaters. Dunno if they are required in your part of the world.

I know here in Illinois they require unions to be installed on the water heaters. Dunno if they are required in your part of the world.
    Here too.

I never see them around here. I'll have to check on the local requirements. Is it in the IRC?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I never see them around here. I'll have to check on the local requirements. Is it in the IRC?
    Not sure about the IRC but here it is out of the Illinois code book. The bold and underlined part is done by me.

TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
    CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
    SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
    PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
    SECTION 890.350 UNIONS

Section 890.350 Unions

Unions may be used in the drainage and venting system when accessibly located above ground. Unions shall be installed in a water supply system within 5 feet of regulating equipment, water heaters, water conditioning tanks, water conditioning equipment, pumps, and similar equipment which may require service by removal or replacement. Where small equipment may be unscrewed, only one union shall be required.

a) Drainage System. Unions may be used in the trap seal and on the inlet and outlet side of the trap. Unions shall have metal to metal seats except that plastic unions may have plastic to plastic seats.

b) Water Supply System. Unions in the water supply system shall be metal to metal with ground seats, except that plastic to metal unions may utilize durable, non-toxic, impervious gaskets. Unions between copper pipe/tubing and dissimilar metals shall either be made with a brass converter fitting or be a dielectric type union.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Not required by the IRC.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Stenske Guest

That electrical line in not up to code. I believe it has to be in conduit.