william siegel Guest

Default What would cause this

Copper lines comming off the compressor are green.

This is a heat pump unit close to the ocean

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Dennis Krouse Guest

Default Re: What would cause this

It appears to be a mfg. defect. If it was atmospheric corrosion from the salt air then other copper in the unit would be affected also. I would send that pic to the factory and see what they say. The only time I've seen copper turn that green was after being submerged in salt water or right on the coast line, besides chemically. Its possible that the piece was contaminated before it was put in the unit.

That one may have had condensation on it for long periods of time, which may allow the salt air to collect, evaporate, and then cause that corrosion on only that one pipe.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Any Chinese drywall?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Todd Seibel Guest

I would have to agree with Jerry, chinese drywall would be black not green.

william siegel Guest

Chinese drywall would turn the pipes black. Plus the other copper pipes in this area are not black, and none of the wiring in the home was black.

Question CSI AC

Urine from dogs or poop from gulls would cause some corrosion but none evident anywhere else. I've seen bird poop rot out HDG wire screening on vent terminations. Dog pee is notorious for ruining condenser coils but why just this one copper tube.
    Cool mystery!

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That one may have had condensation on it for long periods of time, which may allow the salt air to collect, evaporate, and then cause that corrosion on only that one pipe.
    Totally agree! I can see the condensation still at the top end of the green pipe. Also no condensation on the good one.

That's a packaged water source heat pump (Geothermal) which should be located indoors.

Exactly where was the unit located?

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    That's a packaged water source heat pump (Geothermal) which should be located indoors.

Exactly where was the unit located?

Being as it is in a condo, it was likely feed by a chiller.

Most are located in mechanical closets which open to a common corridor to allow for service without entering the condo unit itself. Could be an open corridor instead of a closed corridor (just guessing)?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Located in the closet in the hallway just outside the unit

Mark Aakjar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Krouse View Post
    It appears to be a mfg. defect. If it was atmospheric corrosion from the salt air then other copper in the unit would be affected also. I would send that pic to the factory and see what they say. The only time I've seen copper turn that green was after being submerged in salt water or right on the coast line, besides chemically. Its possible that the piece was contaminated before it was put in the unit.
    Lets not forget about the Statue of Libery. But I have to agree with Jerry only one pipe is green...

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    Located in the closet in the hallway just outside the unit
    Bill,

Was the hallway enclosed or open (you know the open type corridors I am referring to)? One good example are many of the condos on Fisher Island where the mechanical rooms are accessible from the open air corridors which meander around the buildings.

If the hallway was enclosed, then the air in the hallway should be conditioned air.

Another option would be people who leave their sliding glass doors open and enjoy the wonderful breeze they get up there with their great views ... that does wonders on the interior items as the salt air blows through the condos, which is then sucked into the a/c system, to that refrigerant piping covered with condensation.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

The hallway is enclosed, and yes, it is air conditioned. I dont know if this helps, but the unit is in the Palms tower just south of Oakland Park Blvd

Bill,

Just south of Galt Ocean Drive, then.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that line is always cold and has condensation on it, combined with the salt air.

A lack of excessive rust in there is a sign that the salt air is not corroding everything else, which is a good sign.

Just had a thought, is there is fresh air intake into there from outside? That would do it (but would also likely rust everything else out).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jerry,

No, no fresh air from the outside. The return is (obviously) in the unit ceiling. The door to this unit makes one hell of a tight seal, as it gets caught on the carpet in the hallway.

This is just a far out idea here but the chemicals used in a meth lab will also cause green discolorations on certain metals.

Any meth labs nearby Bill?

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword