Brian Thomas Guest

Default water not turned on

Realtor just calls me to inform me that water might not be turned on at home Im inspecting today at noon. Wants to know what I charge to make a 2nd trip out there after water gets turned on. First time for me so I was wondering what is a fair amount to charge for a 2nd trip. Keep in mind, house is only about 15 mins from me and this is the second job Ive gotten from this realtor in the past week. Any ideas would be appreciated

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: water not turned on

I charge $250 for any additional visits to the property - without a written report. If they need more paper, that is extra.

mathew stouffer Guest

That close, 75 to 100 dollars depending on the size of the house. If it's an 8000 sq ft house then it's like AD said, 250 at least, because it will take you forever the test all the plumbing.

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    That close, 75 to 100 dollars depending on the size of the house. If it's an 8000 sq ft house then it's like AD said, 250 at least, because it will take you forever the test all the plumbing.
    I was thinking 100 dollars too because its 15 mins away and its only a 1500 square foot home

Darin Redding Guest

Do the math and break down your rate. If you charge 300 for a three hour inspection, estimate how long will it to take to test the plumbing. An hour? So 100 would be fair IMO. If the home was further away, I would also charge travel time (second time traveling there, first time is factored in to the cost of the first inspection).

Brian Thomas Guest

Luckily water was on and I was able to perform a full inspection. But, Im sure this situation will present itself again

I charge 1/2 the original fee for re-inspections.
    Just had one today that I will have to drive back on Monday.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

$250 an hour guys, portal to portal. What your selling is your experience and expertise. Now how long did it take and what did you pay for it? Charge accordingly.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    $250 an hour guys, portal to portal. What your selling is your experience and expertise. Now how long did it take and what did you pay for it? Charge accordingly.
    California and Ohio have vastly different price structures Im sure!

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    JM: Agreed in spades.

If a second trip is not far away and the reason is outside the control of the client and agent, then I'll often do it as a freebie. People tend to remember such efforts more than when an additional fee is charged and leaving them with good recollections of you is good for business.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    If a second trip is not far away and the reason is outside the control of the client and agent, then I'll often do it as a freebie. People tend to remember such efforts more than when an additional fee is charged and leaving them with good recollections of you is good for business.
    EB: While I understand the operative concept in your thinking, I have to disagree. People pay more attention to and appreciate more what they must pay for. Give it to them and it loses all semblance of value.

Furthermore, the more money they pay, the more attention they pay.

Just my opinion based on these many years experience.