Darin Redding Guest

Default Portable utilities all HI's should have

I have seen websites advertising that their company can inspect a house with all the utilities off, by bringing a generator and charging the panel to test the electricity and pressurizing the water and gas systems with equipment they bring to the home site.

From a liability standpoint, doesn't seem all that wise of a move to me.

Anyone here perform these type of inspections?

Agents in my area will sometimes request these type of inspections and I tell them no can do.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Portable utilities all HI's should have

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Redding View Post
    I have seen websites advertising that their company can inspect a house with all the utilities off, by bringing a generator and charging the panel to test the electricity and pressurizing the water and gas systems with equipment they bring to the home site.

From a liability standpoint, doesn't seem all that wise of a move to me.

Agents in my area will sometimes request these type of inspections and I tell them no can do.
    DR: There was a thread on this subject a while back. The consensus was that the liability accrued through such inspections would be astronomical.

Darin Redding Guest

Crappers. I need to figure out how to search better here.

Sorry for the re-post.

DR

A.D. Miller Guest

Crappers. I need to figure out how to search better here.

Sorry for the re-post.

DR
    DR: It's not you. It's the Hann's forum interface: as stilted as a circus performer.

Dennis Krouse Guest

Well in Florida you have to have a license to even touch the gas. Plus if its natural gas how to you carry a portable main?,,Your insurance company would drop you like a rock if they knew you did that. Way too many liabilities for sure!

Darin Redding Guest

DK: Yes, I have heard inspectors that carry a small cylinder of compressed gas and charge the system for testing. Not sure how one would go about that, I suppose disconnecting a gas appliance? Foolish to do THAT on many different levels.

….as stilted as a circus performer.

That’s odd – the circus bit I understand, the metaphor has gone over my head. “Stilted?” What on earth?

Speaking of Earth: 32°58'52.46"N 96°40'16.05"W You shouldn’t have done that, Miller. I have a satellite looking through your front window right now.... Friend, what’s with the swimming pools in your neighborhood? You’d need a bloody gondola just to go the local shop and fetch a pint of milk. You’re making too much money. (as if there was such a concept….)

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimh*n P. Connell View Post

Speaking of Earth: 32°58'52.46"N 96°40'16.05"W You shouldn’t have done that, Miller. I have a satellite looking through your front window right now.….)

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n
    We need to talk about trimming those shrubs as well.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimh*n P. Connell View Post

That’s odd – the circus bit I understand, the metaphor has gone over my head. “Stilted?” What on earth?

Speaking of Earth: 32°58'52.46"N 96°40'16.05"W You shouldn’t have done that, Miller. I have a satellite looking through your front window right now.... Friend, what’s with the swimming pools in your neighborhood? You’d need a bloody gondola just to go the local shop and fetch a pint of milk. You’re making too much money. (as if there was such a concept….)

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n
    CC: Stilted means formal or stiff (at least here in the land of Twain). The Hann's website interface is just that. Now as to the circus, have you never seen a circus performer on stilts? And do you not now see the (perhaps lame) attempt to juxtapose the two ideas while simultaneously combining them?

Regarding the plethora of swimming pools: I do not (even want to) own one. I do have an 800-gallon koi pond, but I leave the swiimming to the fish who are much better designed for that activity.

Daniel Leung Guest

It is the first time, I got a phone call last night ask for this type of inspection. The electric power was cut from the single house to be rebuild, but the owner changed his mind listed on the market now.
    If you or you know who can perform this type of inspection in Metro Vancouver BC (of course he should be a licensed electrician and licensed home inspector), please email to me. I will refer to you when the buyer call me again.

“Stilted”
    Got it.
    Thanks.
    (Must be a colloquialism and not good English like wot I talk.)

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    It is the first time, I got a phone call last night ask for this type of inspection. The electric power was cut from the single house to be rebuild, but the owner changed his mind listed on the market now.
    If you or you know who can perform this type of inspection in Metro Vancouver BC (of course he should be a licensed electrician and licensed home inspector), please email to me. I will refer to you when the buyer call me again.
    Daniel, if the meter has been removed by Hydro, it would not be so scary to energize the service with a 30 watt inverter like we use to run electronics in the truck. Then disclaim everything, no test for heaters etc, but you'd be checking continuity a bit, lights and outlets. Like I say, no need to lump basic wiring with water or Natural Gas piping. They can call a plumber for that.