way to vent the exhaust gas/smoke from an oil burner boiler, thru a house
    basment fireplace.

The exhaust pipe from the home owner basement boiler in vent out thru
    the fireplace flue.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Oiler Boiler exhaut vented thru fireplace

Hello Robert. I'm afraid we need more info. What is the location of the fireplace in relation to the boiler? Is the boiler planted in front of it somehow? Is the front of the fireplace open, or blocked off? If the fireplace is still operational, the boiler should not be using the same flue. Did you look for two flues in the one chimney? Finally, why did you not post this in the heating section?

Why not post in heating section. Ans. I still new at this, and the thought
    the post would go to that section. I now learn it does not.

The house basement was once finish, and there is in a basment fireplace
    with a single flue. That being said, the fireplace is not in current used.

The oil burner boiler, is about 10 ft. from the fireplace, and sit at a right
    angle behind the fireplace back side. No its not directly behind it. It move back at a right angle to the front of the fireplace.

My question is what a fireplace is no longer in use, is okay to vent a oil
    fire boiler out thru the fireplace flue.

And yes this thread in electrical, because I don't know how to move it.

Robert, I think the major concerns are can the fireplace opening be sealed tight?
    Does the pipe from the boiler have a correct slope, lower at the boiler, sloping up to the chimney?
    The third concern, will Bob Harper ever find this post?

Yes, one or the other. Sealing the fireplace would be required to use the flue for the boiler and ALL must be done by a licensed chimney expert to insure abandonment is done properly. You are devaluing the home by losing the fireplace, so that should include that loss in the formula to see if it's worth it.
    Where did the unit vent out before?

NFPA 211 says a gas or oil appliance can be connected to a fireplace flue if one of the following conditions is met:
    a) the fireplace opening is sealed
    b) the chimney flue that vents the fireplace is permanently sealed below the connection

Personally I think the fireplace opening should have to be bricked shut. If not someone could build a fire in the fireplace with the flue blocked above the fireplace.

Also check with the oil appliance installation instructions for venting requirements.

Jim Brewer

Exclamation Re: Oil Boiler vented thru basmt fireplace

Jim Brewer, for those who don't know him, is a chimney pro from Va. and sits on the NFPA 54 cmte. and is, of course, correct on those requirements.

I would add that the chimney should have a level II inspection since it's use was changed from fireplace to heater flue. A heater flue needs a cleanout. Normally, the open hearth functions as the cleanout on a fireplace. In this case, you could either cut an access door into the smoke chamber or make the block off to the smoke chamber sealed but accessible. This might be done by simply sealing an existing metallic throat damper with silicone, which can be cut for inspection/ service then re-sealed.

Part of the level II would address the flue condition and sizing in relation to the boiler. If the chimney is unsuitable for venting the boiler as is, a listed liner properly sized and installed could resolve these issues. This would also present the opportunity to address the block off and cleanout by simply using a tee with an extension down near the damper.

The chimney connector carries and 18" clearance to combustibles and the thickness is governed by the diameter range. If there is a combustible mantel or ceiling in proximity, you need to either shield the combustibles or revert to they L vent connector, which carries a 9" clearance. Oil appliances require a barometric damper unless specifically prohibited by the appliance mfr.

I also recommend combustion analysis with a draft interference test and unlisted low level CO monitors on each floor and outside sleeping rooms.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Many thanks, Bob H. for that post. /S/ Robert

i really want to say something but i am not going to, ah wtf
    THOOOOOOOEY!!!