Jerome W. Young Guest

Default water heater TPR arrangement

the building official told the builder he could do it this way or so it was stated.

This has a solar heater on the roof with a recirculator. I was not sure if the tpr drain line could be t'd off with a return or supply?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: water heater TPR arrangement

It can be done like that if they used the right T&P relief valve-- they need the longer style-- it has to extend into the top 6" of the tank I believe.

The above info. is from what I have learned here, and is based on memory--- I can't say I've ever seen it done that way.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Brandon...

You should check these fittings. some of them have a stamp on the side of them stating cold water only.

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    It can be done like that if they used the right T&P relief valve-- they need the longer style-- it has to extend into the top 6" of the tank I believe.

The above info. is from what I have learned here, and is based on memory--- I can't say I've ever seen it done that way.
    Correct ... as long as the T&P has the extra long probe, usually designated by and XL instead of just an L, for example: 100XL, 1L, 1XL, 40L, 40XL, etc. ( Watts: Temperature and Pressure Relief Valves | Water Safety & Flow Control ).

Also note that there appears to be a heat trap fitting in the two solar heater lines but NOT in the hot out, which is where a hot heat trap is needed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

good stuff, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    good stuff, thanks

Keep in mind, though, that the longer probes are only 2" longer ...

Install too tall of a nipple, too tall of a tee, and that extra long probe will not reach anyway.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hey Brandon...

You should check these fittings. some of them have a stamp on the side of them stating cold water only.
    Hi Ron,

Good memory.....
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ater-only.html

That's those transition fittings I keep mentioning since that thread came up and that information was posted.

What you are looking at are "adapters" to "adapter" from a slip joint to a threaded joint, not "transitions" which "transition" from one material to another.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com