Thread: Fire hazard?

Wade Johnson Guest

Default Fire hazard?

I was in an attic tody, over the fireplace. I looked down & noticed that the loose fill insulation had fallen in & was laying on top of the fireplace. How a big a concern is this? (metal firplace)

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Fire hazard?

First problem: You should not be able to see the fireplace from up in the attic. That chase needs to be firestopped/drafstopped at the ceiling level.

Second, all that insulation needs to be removed *before* the chase is sealed up with firestopping/drafstopping.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wade,

Insulation laborer has no idea about where he shouldn't put insulation. Insulation on the fireplace cabinet or vent create conditions that those components are not rated for. Temperatures exceed expected limits and all bets (and warranties) or off. If you ignore it you're on your own because no manufacturer will back you up.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Talking Re: Fire hazard?

We could wait and let the fire investigator answer that question.

Scott Dana Guest

In a couple of instances I have seen what appears to be insulation in the fireplace itself (see photo). It looked deliberately placed. Is this decoration? Is it even insulation?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

That's placed there to give the "glowing coals" effect. At least, that's my take on why it is there. I also see it a lot, even on brand new units.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA