Default It was hot in the attic, but I found it!

OK, today it was around 90f outside and this was an afternoon inspection! I had a feeling that I was going to find a few problems in the attic just with what I had found inside the home. The attic was around 130f and the water heater and vent pipe that I wanted to look at were a good 25' from the entrance (another issue)! It was kind of like that crawlspace that you just don't want to go to that far side, but you have that gut feeling.

The first picture is a water heater with a "B" vent pipe that is a little short. They made the difference up with aluminium duct tape!

The next is the underside of a vent pipe boot. The boot was split and leaking so the owner filled the underside of it with Great Stuff foam!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: It was hot in the attic, but I found it!

Scott, I see one of the split vent pipe flashings on the top of a 2 story house almost every time I go to the bank. You can see the weather foam that someone applied from the inside of the attic. Gota love the inventiveness even if you can't give them credit for craftsmanship.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Bob Spermo Guest

Scott,

Only 90! Have had 57 days over 100 this year in south central Texas. Broke our record by 20 days! Have taken thermal images of roof decks without a radiant barrier of 172 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    Scott,

Only 90! Have had 57 days over 100 this year in south central Texas. Broke our record by 20 days! Have taken thermal images of roof decks without a radiant barrier of 172 degrees
    Yep, I can recall those days when I lived in South TX! Up here in the hills of TN we have had a mild summer. In August we have had 11 days when it did not get above 80. This Sunday the forecast high is 70f with a low of 52F . Really strange weather, but hey I will take it!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

K Robertson Guest

Great stuff and duct tape! Redneck plumbing supplies. Now THAT'S injunn-ear ring!