Default Air/handler in Attic

What is the rule when it comes to placing a air/handler in the attic. I inspected a house today that had a small opening off of the FROG to the attic. The air/handler was at the other end of the attic and the only access it was to walk across trusses and insulation and feel your way along. I thought there had to be a plywood walkway to the unit from an access so that the unit could be serviced or inspected. and the access had to be near the unit. This unit was newly put in in 2006 and they used the return as the access.

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Air/handler in Attic

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    What is the rule when it comes to placing a air/handler in the attic. I inspected a house today that had a small opening off of the FROG to the attic.
    What to heck is a FROG?

The air/handler was at the other end of the attic and the only access it was to walk across trusses and insulation and feel your way along. I thought there had to be a plywood walkway to the unit from an access so that the unit could be serviced or inspected. and the access had to be near the unit. This unit was newly put in in 2006 and they used the return as the access.
    Jim,

There are two separate allowable walkways to the equipment in the attic, each depends on the distance to the unit.

If under 20 feet, the space can be smaller than if over 20 feet.

However, both require proper flooring.

- M1305.1.3 Appliances in attics. Attics containing appliances requiring access shall have with an opening and a clear and unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance, but not less than 30 inches (762 mm) high and 22 inches (559 mm) wide and not more than 20 feet (6096 mm) long when measured along the centerline of the passageway from the opening to the appliance. The passageway shall have continuous solid flooring in accordance with Chapter 5 not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide. A level service space at least 30 inches (762 mm) deep and 30 inches (762 mm) wide shall be present along all sides of the appliance where access is required. The clear access opening dimensions shall be a minimum of 20 inches by 30 inches (508 mm) by 762 mm), where such dimensions are large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. The passageway and level service space are not required where the appliance can be serviced and removed through the required opening.
    - - - 2. Where the passageway is unobstructed and not less than 6 feet (1829 mm) high and 22 inches (559 mm) wide for its entire length, the passageway shall be not more than 50 feet (15 250 mm) long.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry:

Frog = Finished Room Over Garage.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Jerry:

Frog = Finished Room Over Garage.

Dom.
    Dom,

Thanks.

Why not just say finished room over garage????

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

easier to say FROG :-)

circuit protection in the am house today had a breaker label that said ROG (it was un finished)

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

It may be easier to say FROG, but it is also easier to say BP, SR, and others.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry!

I knew there had to be something but I did not know the specifics.

Jim Murphy

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Here are some fine supports beneath this air handler I saw yesterday.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images