Daniel Leung Guest

Default Hot Water Tank Gas Leaks

This is a gas HWT in a 7-year new house (No specification label, probably a recondition unit). When I check the tank bottom, I saw two flames. I think the large flame is gas leaking from the joint of gas pipe. The small one is pilot light. Any comment?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hot Water Tank Gas Leaks

wow, Yep that sure is a gas leak.

Exclamation Re: Hot Water Tank Gas Leaks

-Rating plate missing= unlisted appliance, which should be shut down
    -obvious gas leak ignited where pilot tubing attaches to pilot assy, which should be shut down.
    -possible field fuel conversion, which should be shut down.

I would recommend the unit be immediately shut down then replaced with a listed unit properly installed, inspected and combustion analysis.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Richard Stanley Guest

When you encounter a leaking gas situation, Do you "shut the unit and gas supply down yourself"? And report that you did? along with notifying seller and/or the agent?

Clint White Guest

Smile Re: Hot Water Tank Gas Leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    When you encounter a leaking gas situation, Do you "shut the unit and gas supply down yourself"? And report that you did? along with notifying seller and/or the agent?

Yes yes and yes.......All formalitlies aside, Although I didn't cause the leak (or whatever else it might be), I found it and IF I have the capability to shut it off....I will. In all my years I have shut off the gas main, or individual isolation valves MANY times and I have never been sued for it. As a matter of fact I can't remember anyone even complaining.....

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Yes, I did report the gas leaking and recommended shut the unit down immediatelly by the owner or listing realtor. And let them to do so.
    Never encounter a leaking case without owner/realtor in the house. I think I will make a phone call to get authorisation, then shut the unit down on behalf of the owner.

I remember a case that the owner and I smell the gas when we open the oven door. She shut down the gas supply for the stoves/oven and calls the dealer. But the dealer's technician cannot locate the minor leaking in the oven. Then, she calls the gas company and found it.