Thread: GETTING STARTED

GLENN HOLSTEIN Guest

Default GETTING STARTED

I've been remolding, upgrading , and doing new add onns to existing homes for a few years and now that I'm new the HI side of business is it better to try to go on my own at first or try to get on a existing company?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

darryl washington Guest

Default Re: GETTING STARTED

Education education education.... Try to hook up with an inspector, maybe not in your part of the world, and go along on an inspection. Join one of the associations like NACHI.

Dan Popoff Guest

Welcome Glenn:

Is that Charleston, SC? I know allot of really good HI's in that part of the state. I think it's best to start off with education first. It is a process to get licensed in SC and does not happen overnight.

This board is a good start, great info.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN HOLSTEIN View Post
    I've been remolding, upgrading , and doing new add onns to existing homes for a few years and now that I'm new the HI side of business is it better to try to go on my own at first or try to get on a existing company?
    GH: A construction background is an essential prerequisite for entering this profession. But it alone is not enough. Though I came from a background of 20+ years as a general contractor I found, much to my dismay, that this profession has a completely different set of requirements. Here, instead of just knowing how to construct things properly, one must have an intimate understanding of materials and systems atrophy causes and effects. This is not a concept that can be easily or effectively taught in a classroom environment. Hands-on experience under the tutelage of a seasoned professional is required.

The biggest problem with this profession is the low entrance requirements. Apprenticeship should be mandatory - and not of short duration.

And, as well, being able to properly describe yourself in written english will enable you to write your report in a way that does not confuse the client or the description of the defect.
    Take a writing course, brush up on your english language skills. Your speech at the inspection will either create respect and confidence in your client or, if poor speach, will cause the client to lose trust in you.
    Remember, this is not like talking with the buddies or the guys on the job site to explain what you mean.
    This is life and death, success or failure, same thing.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    And, as well, being able to properly describe yourself in written english will enable you to write your report in a way that does not confuse the client or the description of the defect.
    Take a writing course, brush up on your english language skills. Your speech at the inspection will either create respect and confidence in your client or, if poor speach, will cause the client to lose trust in you.
    Remember, this is not like talking with the buddies or the guys on the job site to explain what you mean.
    This is life and death, success or failure, same thing.
    WS: Good point. I often forget that most folks in this country are borderline literate. It does not take long on this site to see that HIs are not immune to this trend. In fact, the majority may serve as the poster children for this problem.

Regardless how effectively you find and identify issues in a home, if you cannot relate those issues so that the array of folks who will be reading your report understand them, you have just wasted your client's time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN HOLSTEIN View Post
    Welcome to the board.

If you are in SC, you need to be licensed before you start doing inspections, I'm assuming that you already have your HI license.

I would say that about 75% of the successful home inspectors are solo inspectors and do not work for anyone.

Find a local home inspector organization chapter in your area/state and go to some of their meetings. Make friends with other inspectors, learn from those that have been in the profession for a while.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

GLENN HOLSTEIN Guest

I'm in Charleston WV so The only the thing I'm waiting on is to take my National Exam.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Take a writing course, brush up on your english language skills.
    Your speech at the inspection will either create respect and confidence in your client or, if poor speach, will cause the client to lose trust in you.
    Ma-ne,

I can't be going through all Dem Changes.
    I Jerst Be Checking All Dem Little Boxes on That there Pack of Check-list Forms, I done bought..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.