Default Glad it did not test it

I almost tried the decorative gas appliance today.
    Glad I didn't!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Glad it did not test it

Based on pic 1, I'd say somebody didn't get paid. You know Jim, I'm always very leery of starting those things. I always give them a thorough twice over before igniting. I've run into problems too many times where I've said the same as you. I don't know what it is about those units but they seem to attract danger.
    Probably half the time I won't ignite due to some problem.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Great pic and find there Jim.

Saving on the conditioned air loss there was they?

rick

Yep Rick, the seller was present and didn't know what I was talking about until I showed him the picture. He slowly remembered doing that (sort of) after remembering there was no damper.
    This type of thing points out the benefit of a unit I saw earlier this week. I could not get the gas unit to work even though I could see a standing pilot and the customary wall switch. I finally found the damper lever and heard a switch click when I moved it to the full open position and voilĂ* the unit worked fine. First time seeing a unit with a interlock on the damper. Great feature as far as I can see.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Cool foam dampers

This is typically seen with B-vented fireplaces listed to ANSI Z21.50. Some incorporate an integral microswitch in the damper as Jim described. Others got tired of the nuisance service calls and discontinued them. These switches are wired in series with the switch leg. This allows the pilot to remain lit but controls the burner.

Be advised there are some bimetallic butterfly dampers out there with no electrical interlock. Majestic not only made these by the thousands but their dampers were retro-fitted onto other brands. The instructions did not make it clear which way the valve plates were to face and there was no index or registration so an installer could inadertently install them where the blade failed to open fully or hung up.

The idea of these dampers is to Minimize--not stop cold air infiltration or warm air exfiltration. I've found more than a few that failed to operate properly.

Great pickup Jim. Do you have brand and model?
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Mike S Guest

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.