imported_John Smith Guest

Default Brick Veneer Gap - Whats Excessive?

Does anyone have anything that indicates what constitutes excessive gap in an exterior brick veneer wall? For that matter, how about a minimum gap?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Brick Veneer Gap - Whats Excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Does anyone have anything that indicates what constitutes excessive gap in an exterior brick veneer wall? For that matter, how about a minimum gap?
    What kind a gap?

Between what and what?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Pics so we can see what brought up the question?

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

If you are asking about the gap between the veneer and wall sheathing when the voids are not completely filled, the min. gap is 1". I believe that the max. gap allowed is 4", but could be off my rocker and don't feel like looking it up. I've never had to worry about excess gap. There's usually not even the required 1" gap.

EDIT: Min. air gap is 1" and max is 4.5" for the above in the 2006 IRC: 703.7.4.2

Last edited by Brandon Whitmore; 08-31-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: LOOKED UP IN 2006 IRC

My bad. Brick to brick gap. See photo.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron Bibler Guest

Did you push on that? It looks like you have some movement in the wall ?

Your Gap is one thing. Detachment from the Wood framed
    wall is another along with voids, Excessive moisture condition and access for Sub-termites.

See the attachment. I put this together and use it in my report.

If you want an MSWORD copy of this send me an email.

Best

Ron

Attached Files Attached Files

Brick to brick gap. See photo.
    Should not be ANY gap, there should be brick, then mortar, then the next brick.

Almost looks like someone tried to make some type of expansion joint at that corner, even with expansion joints there is no "gap" - there is brick, sealant, then the next brick.

All I can presume is that whoever laid those bricks up did not know what they were doing - expansion joints are vertical spaces between sections of brick which are filled with sealant and allow the brick to expand horizontally and vertically ... if there is much vertical expansion at all in that photo, the brick ends will break the other brick ends off.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry guys. My double bad. New house in construction. They havent got around to fully mortaring those joints yet.

Never seen them leave the mortar joint out like that. Maybe the AHJ requires it for some odd reason for checking.

Why wouldn't they mortar those joint while installing. Since it's new const. you need to ask someone on sight and post here.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

They havent got around to fully mortaring those joints yet.

The only time to mortar the joint is when the brick is being laid, otherwise you: 1) have no idea if the mortar bed is fully under the brick ( all brick are required to be laid in fully mortared beds); 2) trying to pack mortar into the joint and actually get enough to fill the joint as required is only going to lead to pushing mortar through the joint and out the back side, which is not allowed; 3) leaving excess mortar not struck off and bridging what was, or was supposed to be, the required air gap.

If the AHJ wants to inspects the air gap, leave out one head joint every few courses and then go back and fill them, however, even the head joints are supposed to be fully bedded, and tying to do that after the fact will lead to 2) and 3) above. The best way for the AHJ to inspect the air gap is to leave the top open and look down into the wall, if the brick is laid properly with the mortar struck off the back side properly, you will be able to look all the way down that wall, just like the water is supposed to be allowed to drain.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

I JS,
    THE TERMINOLOGY IS "TOOTHING". WHEN LAYING A WALL THAT FOR SOME REASON YOU CANNOT TURN THE CORNER THEY LEAVE THE 1/2 BRICK OUT TIL THE OTHER WALL IS BRICKED, BUT THE MASONS USUALLY MORTAR THE LEAVE-OUTS AS THE WALL GOES UP.

YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE SOUTHERN BORDER OF THE U.S., I SUPPOSE THIS METHOD HASN'T BEEN SENT DOWN THERE (MORTARING AS THE WALL IS ERECTED).

R.N.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    I JS,
    THE TERMINOLOGY IS "TOOTHING". WHEN LAYING A WALL THAT FOR SOME REASON YOU CANNOT TURN THE CORNER THEY LEAVE THE 1/2 BRICK OUT TIL THE OTHER WALL IS BRICKED, BUT THE MASONS USUALLY MORTAR THE LEAVE-OUTS AS THE WALL GOES UP.

YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE SOUTHERN BORDER OF THE U.S., I SUPPOSE THIS METHOD HASN'T BEEN SENT DOWN THERE (MORTARING AS THE WALL IS ERECTED).

R.N.
    Your very loud Please speak softer. Thanks...

Best

Ron

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

RON,

TURN DOWN YOUR HEARING AID.

R N

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    RON,

TURN DOWN YOUR HEARING AID.

R N
    RANDY,

IT'S NOT OUR HEARING AIDS ... IT'S YOUR TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

REASONABLE PEOPLE ON INTERNET BOARD ACKNOWLEDGE THAT TYPING IN ALL CAPS (LIKE THIS AND LIKE YOUR POSTS) IS CONSIDERED *IMPOLITE* AND CONSIDERED *SCREAMING*.

DON'T BOTHER SCREAMING HERE, NO ONE WILL PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU SAY OTHER THAN TO TELL YOU TO STOP SCREAMING.

SO, FIRST RON ASKED YOU, NOW I AM ASKING YOU, STOP SCREAMING AT US!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    ASTM 117-90, Standard Tolerances for Concrete Construction and Materials, Section 6 - "Masonry", ACI, 1990:

Attached Files Attached Files

A.D. Miller Guest

Sorry, you'll have to rotate the pdf. the Hann's circus monkeys have been f'ing with it.