Default fixing busted PB main line

I was talking to a home owner today. They have a broken polybutelyne line(big blue). A local plumber is going to fix it by pulling a polyethylene (PE) line through the existing PB line.

They say it's being done with success and very little disturbance to the grounds.

It was the first I had heard of this repair method. What do you know about it?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: fixing busted PB main line

It must be a large PB line. I've never seen it other than in 1/2" and 3/4" size. If it's that large, it might be worth a try. I don't imagine it would matter to the pex line.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

There is a nice pipe bursting set up for water services, I bet that is what he is going to use. When I find a link of it I will post

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I was talking to a home owner today. They have a broken polybutelyne line(big blue). A local plumber is going to fix it by pulling a polyethylene (PE) line through the existing PB line.

They say it's being done with success and very little disturbance to the grounds.

There may be some misinterpretation here. The plumber may be planning to attach the new to the end of the old and then use the old pipe to pull the new pipe into the wall. I've done this myself, switching polyB for Pex.

No way you could force a new plastic pipe into an existing poly line without reducing the size to half.

Pipe Bursting Equipment Sales
    This may be what Ron is refering to, I am familiar with sewer line applications, but this is supposed to be for 3/4 inch on up.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Here is the system I own and used. It can burst a 5/8" line and pull a 2" line right behind it. The services I have done where old 5/8" and 3/4" services and pulled 1" and 1 1/4" lines in its place.

TT Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post

OK I get it, it's an outdoor supply line. I was thinking inside the walls???

For a line in dirt, as you can see, no problemo.