Default untreated wood on masonry foundation wall

This house was built in the 20's and was just rehabbed. They have replacement untreated floor joists in place that are resting on the outer foundation wall. They are toe-nailed to a treated band joist (new). A couple of concerns: 1) untreated joists resting on the outer brick foundation wall are subject to decay (may take decades or more I'd guess), 2) floor joists resting on a masonry wall should have 3" bearing and this has about 1.5 inches. Do you think these are minor issues or more significant?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: untreated wood on masonry foundation wall

I'd write it up. You may want to recommend a permit search be done as well. My guess is structural repairs require a permit.

Valerie Gillespie Guest

This is definitely a code violation, you need 3" bearing no question. Untreated wood needs a barrier between masonry/concrete. They can install non-compressible shims like neoprene plastic, flashing, or galvanized steel shims.

True. Thanks. I threw it in the list for the SE. There were several big issues. We'll see what happens.