Default Split bus (?) Zinsco service equipment.

I'm fortunate that in my area I don't see a lot of these .

Service equipment, my first thought was that I was looking at a split bus panel with the lighting section being fed from the top breaker, but in fact its conductors are going back out the box through the back on the right-hand side - so if that lower group of breakers are being fed separately with upstream overcurrent protection, I can't see from where or how... and if they're not there there are too many throws for service equipment.

What is going on here (as relates to this being service equipment, not all the other stuff)?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Split bus (?) Zinsco service equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I'm fortunate that in my area I don't see a lot of these .

Service equipment, my first thought was that I was looking at a split bus panel with the lighting section being fed from the top breaker, but in fact its conductors are going back out the box through the back on the right-hand side - so if that lower group of breakers are being fed separately with upstream overcurrent protection, I can't see from where or how... and if they're not there there are too many throws for service equipment.

What is going on here (as relates to this being service equipment, not all the other stuff)?
    MT: Does not matter. POS - recommend replacement with real equipment.

Michael,

Do you have a different angle of the open space in the center?

Looks like the left bus bar is rounded down? However, there is nothing visible which is feeding and protecting that bottom section (if is it a split bus) and with nothing protecting the bottom section then that is not allowed to be used as service equipment.

There was no service main disconnect before that panel?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, no upstream disconnect, panel is immediately on the interior side of the wall.

This is the best I can do on that bus.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael,

With no upstream disconnect between the panel and the meter then that panel becomes service equipment and would need to be a split bus panel, which would have a breaker in the top section feeding the bottom section - which is not shown in your photos.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks almost like it is a main lug panel with 1 breaker missing due to damaged buss bar.

From what I see it is not a split buss panel. It is a regular panel with the buss bar damage by a previously removed bad breaker.