Darin Redding Guest

Default Need source for this grate

Any idea where one can purchase a grate like the one shown in this photo? This home is right near the beach, and this exhaust is in a public alleyway.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Need source for this grate

You need to know the manufacturer of the fireplace (or whatever that is from) and FROM THEM get a listed cap shield ... this is *IF* that termination is above YOUR property.

Your description implies it is above public property, in which case that termination is required to be 7 feet above the walkway.

Here is a question: A) Does the public walkway extend to the wall of your house, or, B) does your property extend out from your house wall to beyond the end of that termination?

If A) then it needs to be 7 feet high, if B) then you may be able to get by with putting an approved, listed cap shield from the manufacturer of that appliance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Redding View Post
    Any idea where one can purchase a grate like the one shown in this photo? This home is right near the beach, and this exhaust is in a public alleyway.

Don't know if I would want one just like the one in the picture. In case you did not notice, that one looks like hell. I think I might get one that is not so rusty and corroded

Darin Redding Guest

This is a direct vent for a gas wall furnace, the type that rests on the floor in the living space. As such, and only being approx. 30" tall, will be near the ground level from the outside of this one-story unit.

The public alleyway (wide enough to accommodate auto and pedestrian traffic) meets the building where the heater exhaust terminates. So Jerry - I'm not clear on your dimensioning and which of your options might apply.

I found this pick attached here - something like this would work I think.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Redding View Post
    The public alleyway (wide enough to accommodate auto and pedestrian traffic) meets the building where the heater exhaust terminates. So Jerry - I'm not clear on your dimensioning and which of your options might apply.
    Should be the 7 feet high clearance, unless the manufacturer of THAT appliance says otherwise.

You would need to get the manufacturer of that appliance, contact them, and get their installation instructions.

I found this pick attached here - something like this would work I think.
    Nope. It would have to be listed for and by the manufacturer of that appliance or be referenced in their installation instructions as being listed for their appliance use.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Darin Redding Guest

Got it. Thanks Jerry.

Darin,

Check on the internet - you may be able to download the installation instructions from there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com