Default PVC use for compressed air

Typically see black iron pipe used for compressed air systems (sometime see in the garage of gear heads, or in the "shop" of commercial properties). But I saw the use of PVC recently.

Is PVC rated for this use?

Spoke to our local code dept. mechanical chief and he couldn't provide any guidance (i.e., not a code issue), except that he thought it would fall to manufacturer rating.

Dave

Crawl Space Creeper

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: PVC use for compressed air

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hahn View Post
    Typically see black iron pipe used for compressed air systems (sometime see in the garage of gear heads, or in the "shop" of commercial properties). But I saw the use of PVC recently.

Is PVC rated for this use?

Spoke to our local code dept. mechanical chief and he couldn't provide any guidance (i.e., not a code issue), except that he thought it would fall to manufacturer rating.

Dave
    DH:

The Plastic Piping Institute, in their Recommendation B, states that plastic piping used for compressed air transport in above-ground systems should be protected in shatter-proof encasements, unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer. In many states, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has stepped in and regulated against using brittle plastics such as PVC in these applications, and additional states are following suit.

New thermoplastic piping systems -- using high-density polyethylene (HDPE), for example -- overcome the brittleness problems associated with PVC. They efficiently and reliably deliver compressed air with lower material and installation costs and longer service life than with metal systems. They offer a margin of safety missing from PVC.

Good info and resources.
    Thanks

I would not think it would be approved since PVC manufactures do not want us plumbers to air test their systems.