Thread: Water in Garage

Default Water in Garage

Inspected a Townhouse with an attached garage that had signs of a large amount of water that had settled in the garage for a good length of time. Enough time that it ate into the foundation block wall. I have never seen this before. How long would the water have had to sit there to cause this or is this multiple incidents. The garage has never been used and the property was built in 2006.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Water in Garage

Are you sure the water didn't come in from the outside of that wall? Got any photos of the exterior?

That's water coming in through the wall but it almost looks like the whole slab has settled. was it cracked?
    What was the grade outside that wall.
    That red chalk line also indicates someone was in there to determine just how much the slab did settle. Was that you that chipped the pieces off thge wall or was it all laying here like that.
    Could have been you are the second inspection and a deal may have fallen through due to this problem.
    Make sure you put in the report to get disclosure from owner on past problems in this area as well as info on any test done to determine problem.

No, it did not. Do not have pictures but I looked at the outside. The floor is sloped to the one corner under the staircase. It is a two car garage with one door so I am thinking someone left it open during a heavy rain but the deteroriation in the block to me is really unusal.

Wayne,

I saw remnants of the chalk line. I am the only inspector that has been in here. The owner brought it to live in but had to rent it out and now it may have to be turned over to the bank. The owner was trying to see what problems there were before listing it for sale. The renters trashed it and they were realtors.

Do you really think the water was coming from outside? Migrating between the slab and the foundation wall? The garage floor did not have any cracks in it and no I did not remove any of the block.

I'm not sure the slab has settled (i.e., the line around the wall does not necessary show that) as the same line is on the 4x4 post for that stair landing.

Water is not going to damage the concrete block. Water will damage and rust steel reinforcement in the block wall, though.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Edward Loughran Guest

Did the wooden stairs/rampway have any water damage to it?

Ted Menelly Guest

Is the third picture a termite tube?

If the water is settling and staying in the garage then the floor was sloped wrong and needs correction. If that is a termite tube then I seriously doubt the soil was ever pre treated before being built on.

Michael Garrity Guest

Is that a new slab?

I see chips on that wall like someone walked along that edge with a jackhammer or chisel of some kind, trimming the edge, maybe cutting a drainage path for the water? That's in pic 2. Anyway, manmade damage, not from water.
    There may have been water inside, but there may also be water seeping in through the blocks from outside, causing that efflorescence..
    And there does appear to be a termite tube, but it's in pic 4.