Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Fed findings indicate recession may be over

WASHINGTON – Economic activity is stabilizing or improving in the vast majority of the country, according to a government survey released Wednesday. The findings indicate that the worst recession since the 1930s may be over.

The Federal Reserve's snapshot of economic conditions backs predictions by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and most other analysts that the economy has started to grow once again in the current quarter.

In the new survey, all but one of the Fed's 12 regions indicated that economic activity was "stable," showed "signs of stabilization" or had "firmed." The one exception was the St. Louis region, which continued to report that the pace of decline in economic activity appeared to be "moderating."

Looking ahead, businesses in most Fed regions said they were "cautiously positive" about the economic outlook.

The assessments of businesses on the front lines of the economy was brighter than those they provided for the previous Fed report in late July. At that time, most regions said the recession was easing its grip and some of them reported signs that activity was leveling off.

In Wednesday's survey, the Dallas region indicated that economic activity had "firmed." The Fed regions of Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Richmond and San Francisco mentioned "signs of improvement." The Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis and New York regions described activity as "stable or showing signs of stabilization."

Analysts predict the economy is growing in the current July-September quarter at anywhere between 3 and 4 percent.

Most of that growth should come from more spending from businesses, which had slashed investments — often by double-digits — during the recession.

Consumer spending, however, is expected to turn up only because of the binge-buying of automobiles generated by the short-lived Cash-for-Clunkers program. Buyers were given cash rebates to trade in less efficient gas guzzlers.

The Fed's survey found that the majority of regions did report that the government's clunkers program "boosted traffic and sales." But aside from brisk businesses at auto dealerships, other merchants struggled. Consumer spending remained "soft" in most Fed regions.

Manufacturing, meanwhile, reported "modest" improvements. Residential real-estate markets, which were clobbered during the downturn, also flashed signs of improvements. But the commercial real-estate market continued to be a drag in most markets.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Fed findings indicate recession may be over

Crap, Crap, Crap

The way some figure it (the government), business is up.
    Lets see
    Say you made 100k in 2006
    The economy tanks and you drop to 60k for 2007 and 08
    This year you are doing 66k
    Govmint says " You had a 10% growth"
    Yea right

A friend of mine says
    Figures dont lie,
    But, liers can figure.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

A.D. Miller Guest

NO: You waste your time brining anything that even sounds like good news to this forum. There exists an entire sub-culture here that, while believing in talking snakes and an Earth that is a mere 6000 years old, claim to be omniscient and capable of refuting nearly any facts presented to them, true or not.

I personally get so tired of this "the sky is falling" BS all the time.

rick

What do you guys expect?
    We make our living pointing out what is wrong with everything we are paid to inspect.
    We are Professional Fault Finders. Show me anything and I can find something wrong and if I fail I'll show it to Jerry and he'll find something wrong for sure (unless it says Jaguar or liberal on the package)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I'm wondering if there is a market for companies that just go in and tell a homebuyer everything that is "great" about a home instead.

Oh yeah, those are Realtors.

Nevermind.

rick

Michael Larson Guest

Let me know when there are two positive quarters of growth back to back.

Until them it can't be declared over without a whole lot guessin'

We still have 16% of people who want to work unemployed and anemic consumer spending that normally accounts for 70 % of our economy.

If people aren't working they aren't spending.

Guys
    Sorry you think my comment was BS and the sky is falling
    I read the article and I see a lot of " Feel good propaganda".
    Phrases like
    showed "signs of stabilization"
    cautiously positive"
    "firmed."
    Aaron are these the facts you talk about?

I glad you and the area you live in are doing good, I really am. But me personally, and the area I live in, the people I come in contact with, well, not as good.

Unemployment is still high
    U.S. Employment Prospects Remain Mixed : Industrial Market Trends
    As is the foreclosure rate.
    Foreclosure rate dips in May, but remains high - USATODAY.com

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

It's funny that as soon as the massive chaos throughout the country's financial system stops everyone is ready to jump on the 'good times' bus again. It's good that things seem to have stablized but we're far from a prosperous time.

I caught part of a RE agent's spiel to a buyer the other day and had to laugh... something like, now that the recession is over houses should start going up at 10-15% a year again. Nothing sells like optimism, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    but we're far from a prosperous time.

Let's see ... the title of the thread is "Re: Fed finding indicate recession may be over".

And that somehow means that it was saying we are now "in a prosperous time"?

You guys have lost me there.

Some one says the shooting has stopped, and then some jump up and threats to start shooting again while another jumps up and says it's time to dance and have fun.

Seems to me the part which is missing is the 'it's time to lick our wounds, heal them, and start putting things in order so we can get back on our feet' - but that some how got skipped over?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Here is how accurate the gov't is. Cash for clunkers will last 5 months and it last 4 days. It's busy in park city

Ron Bibler Guest

-----------------------------------------------------------flat line.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------flat line.

Best

Ron
    RB: Er uh, don't you mean ------------------Flat Earth?

David Nice Guest

Yippee! Now the congress and the Obama adminstration has ammunition to claim that it's spending like drunken sailors has resulted in pulling us out of the recession.

The very resilience of the American economy is what has been holding us back from the brink of disaster. The idea of spending our way out of a recession has never worked. It did not work to bring the country out of the depression in the 30's and it wont work now. Any idea that it did, is pure revisionist history.

I (for one) DO believe in talking snakes. There is Obama, Pilosi and Reid (Oh My!) to name a few.

Edward Loughran Guest

This is just like getting a tax break. The gov. takes 50% of what you earn and decides that 60% would make you even more of a patriot. Instead of 60% they get 59%. Shazam !!! you got a tax reduction of 10%.