Default 1992 Built house with electrical issues

I recently inspected a home built in 1992, there are several electrical code violations, however, my code references go back to the 1999 Electrical Code. Not sure which electrical code was effective at time of construction and if the effective code references were the same as they were in the 1999 code. The following are references I used in my report:

Issue-Multiple neutral wires (grounded conductors) are connected at the under 1 lug
    NEC 110.3(b). Clause 12.3.10 of UL 67 (Panelboards) states "An individual terminal shall be provided for the connection of each branch-circuit neutral conductor."

Issue-Corrosion damage is noted inside timer to the electrical components.
    110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
    C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections

Issue-Bonding conductor not attached to heater lug
    680.26 Bonding.

Issue-Blower motor electrical swith and disconnect cabinet door is partially blocked by other equipment. Door can only be opened 45 degrees.
    110.26(2)

Thanks for your help.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 1992 Built house with electrical issues

Jack, it might help folks answer you if you post your location in your profile.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Jack, it might help folks answer you if you post your location in your profile.
    Hey Scott, yes makes sense, have done that!
    Thanks-Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wingo View Post
    I recently inspected a home built in 1992, there are several electrical code violations, however, my code references go back to the 1999 Electrical Code. Not sure which electrical code was effective at time of construction and if the effective code references were the same as they were in the 1999 code. The following are references I used in my report:

Issue-Multiple neutral wires (grounded conductors) are connected at the under 1 lug
    NEC 110.3(b). Clause 12.3.10 of UL 67 (Panelboards) states "An individual terminal shall be provided for the connection of each branch-circuit neutral conductor."

Issue-Corrosion damage is noted inside timer to the electrical components.
    110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
    C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections

Issue-Bonding conductor not attached to heater lug
    680.26 Bonding.

Issue-Blower motor electrical swith and disconnect cabinet door is partially blocked by other equipment. Door can only be opened 45 degrees.
    110.26(2)

Thanks for your help.
    Jack,

Doubled neutrals, to the best of my knowledge, has never been allowed. The reason it was done was (I believe) primarily poorly written code section and instructions. Current code is specific. Lots of information on this site about this stuff as well as the other stuff you asked. Do a search and you will find code sections and all kinds of info.

The corrosion is a standard maintenance/repair item. Should be corrected.

I do not understand your bonding question.

Access to the furnace is required. I do not have a code section for you.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Are you performing a code inspection or a home inspection?

If you see conditions that are considered unsafe by today's standards, they are unsafe regardless of the age of the house and under which version of code it was built to.

In North Carolina the law states we are inspecting for "safety and habitiability". If current code says it is wrong, then I consider that a safety issue and I report it. My report will say Commonly accepted building practices require XXX. The YYY at location ABC does not satisfy XXX. Repair or replace by a licensed ZZZ contractor.

If the client gets push back from the builder/seller, than I provide the current specific code reference. If it is a builder, then it is new construction and has to meet current code. If an aged property, then it is up to the seller and buyer to work out what they feel is fair. Not my job.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Are you performing a code inspection or a home inspection?

If you see conditions that are considered unsafe by today's standards, they are unsafe regardless of the age of the house and under which version of code it was built to.

In North Carolina the law states we are inspecting for "safety and habitiability". If current code says it is wrong, then I consider that a safety issue and I report it. My report will say Commonly accepted building practices require XXX. The YYY at location ABC does not satisfy XXX. Repair or replace by a licensed ZZZ contractor.

If the client gets push back from the builder/seller, than I provide the current specific code reference. If it is a builder, then it is new construction and has to meet current code. If an aged property, then it is up to the seller and buyer to work out what they feel is fair. Not my job.
    Not sure how you can do a home inspection without code as a standard. In an efford to minimize repair cost, the seller's electricial contractor is disputing several issues. ie Their solution to interior garage receptacles that were not GFCI protected, was to remove receptacles and put a blank cover over j box.
    The home is in an upscale water front gated community.

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wingo View Post
    Not sure how you can do a home inspection without code as a standard. In an efford to minimize repair cost, the seller's electricial contractor is disputing several issues. ie Their solution to interior garage receptacles that were not GFCI protected, was to remove receptacles and put a blank cover over j box.
    The home is in an upscale water front gated community.
    I believe they were still required to have one operating outlet in the garage. If so, that will need to have GFCI protection. If I'm wrong, someone will point that out here eventually. Just the same, what they negotiated will need to ultimately be approved by your client, i.e. removing outlets and terminating wires properly and covering...right? If I were buying this home that would be an unacceptible compromise.

Please check on the "one outlet required" thing.

At least one receptacle outlet is required in the garage, and that receptacle outlet (along with any and all others in the garage) is required to be GFCI protected.

Additionally, most contracts require the seller to maintain the house to at least the condition the house was in at the time the contract was signed, and removing receptacle outlets is not, in my opinion, maintaining the house in at least that condition.

Sounds to me as the seller is losing a bundle and told the electrician "I'll get even with the buyers for wanting me to install GFCI protection on those receptacles - REMOVE 'EM ALL.", and now the seller will get the opportunity to pay to reinstall the receptacle outlets AND install GFCI protection for them.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com