Thread: Return Air

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Return Air

Do you remove the return air vent covers and how often do you see stuff like this. This is the MO of HVAC contractors in this area.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Return Air

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Do you remove the return air vent covers
    I always made it a practice to shine my flashlight into them and see that they were lined with duct board and that all joints were sealed, if not, I would try to remove the cover for a better look.

and how often do you see stuff like this. This is the MO of HVAC contractors in this area.
    When they were not lined with duct board (as required - must be a suitably approved duct material) I would find what you find found quite often - except for the hole cut into the floor as most of my homes were on slabs).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Return Air

This one in particular was a real mess. There was an opening in the bottom into the utility room. Romex, plumbing supply and waste lines and fire suppression equipment were also running through the space. Oh yeah and the old drywall laying in the duct.