Default Weekend Warriors

Got a call from a citizen asking if there were permits for a building located at........Yes Mam, we have a Seasonal Use. No...I mean a covered area.

Here's what I found. A shade structure about 50 X 30 made out of landscape timbers. The landscape timbers (8')were scabbed together with a 18" piece of pine fence material, with drywall screws.

The spans were around 15' and were supported by a single 2 X 6 spanning about 12'.

I went by there yesterday (Thursday). Told him he needs to have it down TODAY...Friday. Went by a while ago and they are working on it.

I was taking the pictures yesterday and the owner asked me what I was taking pictures for...Told him in case I have to take legal action on him.

Ummmm... What kind of legal action....

Ohh things like Condemnation...Void his Seasonal Use Permit...Hire a contractor to come in here and tear it down...Issue citations...Have the power company disconnect the electrical...Things like that!

I'll go by latter this PM and see how far he has got. I'll have my CAUTION tape and DO NOT ENTER UNSAFE BUILDING tag with me!

Gotta love Weekend Warriors!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Weekend Warriors

Thats a tear down for sure.

Wayne, is this a problem that you have to deal with frequently? Here is one that I have been working with. Come back to work on Monday and find that homeowner hired his buddy to come install this 20' X 20' "shed" in his back yard.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Dylan Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Thats a tear down for sure.

Nah ... it's a ... stand back and watch it fall down on its own.

Just make sure no one is standing under it when you stand back and watch it fall down , which, of course, would only require leaning on one post ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is the first one I've had to work in 6 years. Don't have a lot of this kind of stuff going on out here...the neighbors are our best eyes out there!!

I really don't know how this one got as far as it did!

Just got back from tapeing it off with caution tape and tagging it Unsafe Do Not Occupy.

They have started tearing it down. Don't take too much.

Oh...the posts holding all off this up is just sitting on aspalt and not secured at all. I could see a big gust of wind taking that whole thing out! That would be a blessing as long as no one got hurt!

Hey, at least you guys don't have a snow load to worry about down there....

The patio covers around here always make me laugh. It's pretty sad when they can barely hold their own weight, let alone snow or someone working on top/

Damn Wayne, your tough.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

imported_John Smith Guest

Must be the framers from Houston that worked for that "high end" new home builder that went bankrupt.

No hold on, from looking at the pictures, the cuts are a little too clean for that crew. I think they were using a chain saw or a hand ax.

You are forgeting, THEESE IS MEXICO NOW GRINGO

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. It's ingenious, actually. The weight of the hanging plants at the end of the rafters serves to offset the deflection at the center splice (through cantilever action). Of course, if somone happens to buy one of the plants, the whole thing could come down. I guess nothing's perfect.