Chap Fichera Guest

Default Fresh meat here in PA

I have been contemplating a second career in Home Inspection. I'm a retired carpenter of 33 years and have been retired for almost 4 years.

One of the guys I did a 'ride-along' with today told me about this site. I am planning on becoming ASHI certified. I have also attended the Tri-State Chapter meeting earlier in the week and plan of visiting Keystone's chapter meeting next week.

Just saying, "Hi" here and am looking for any input about being an inspector... so I'll be doing more reading for a while here than commenting.

Thanks
    Chap

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fresh meat here in PA

Chap,
    Jump right in. The water is warm. Heck, everything in AZ in warm.
    Feel free to add your knowledge to this board and everyone will
    get a little smarter.

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Contemplating?

You and the other 10% of the unemployed at the moment are all considering being home inspectors in the worst real estate market overall in history.

The HI schools should be doing a booming business.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Contemplating?

You and the other 10% of the unemployed at the moment are all considering being home inspectors in the worst real estate market overall in history.

rick
    I think the HI schools should be ashamed of themselves, selling dreams to people down on their luck all the while KNOWING that 90% will not be in business in a year. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Contemplating?

rick
    RH: Should be? Have you seen the rate at which the TREC is pumping out new roboinspectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I think the HI schools should be ashamed of themselves, selling dreams to people down on their luck all the while KNOWING that 90% will not be in business in a year. But hey, that is just my opinion.
    Some body has to take our place when we make our millions
    I got to give the guy some credit, at least his isn't trying to scam the public by taking the get certified instantly route.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Chap Fichera Guest

Yeah contemplating. When I retired I figured wrong with the money, especially since the market issues happened right after I settled in. Since it is somewhat of a serious investment I was looking into it and since I have worn out some body parts (knees and elbow) I need something that at least I don't have to learn all of it from scratch.

Yeah, I know the market is slow and I guess from your comments there are a lot of guys thinking this is the answer. Whatever....... I want to do it right. When the market rebounds and if I'm not dead yet, then I can supplement my pension.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap Fichera View Post
    Yeah contemplating. When I retired I figured wrong with the money, especially since the market issues happened right after I settled in. Since it is somewhat of a serious investment I was looking into it and since I have worn out some body parts (knees and elbow) I need something that at least I don't have to learn all of it from scratch.

Yeah, I know the market is slow and I guess from your comments there are a lot of guys thinking this is the answer. Whatever....... I want to do it right. When the market rebounds and if I'm not dead yet, then I can supplement my pension.
    Go for it Chip.. One thing you will find after you follow this site, and get your HI training, you will be starting over from scratch, and you will need to repair those worn out body parts

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Chap Fichera Guest

Yeah, I know I have a lot to learn.

Ron Bibler Guest

Hanging up the old Knocking Stick Chap me boy.

Good for you... Spend a day going back over the Search...Look up any subject. You will get a mouth full... can be bitter or sweet...

Welcome just the same...

BAGDAD BOB Will help you with any miss-information you may need...

Best

Ron

Chap Fichera Guest

I'll keep an eye out for the Butcher of Baghdad.

Ron Bibler Guest

I'll keep an eye out for the Butcher of Baghdad.
    He has already been to your table

Best

rON

What part of PA, Chap? I grew up in the middle part, not far from Dan Harris. We both got the heck out of there, though.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Chap Fichera Guest

Eastern side, near Allentown. Why did you run away?

Ron Bibler Guest

The East side... Just what We suspected...

Best

Ron

Chap Fichera Guest

I don't know about Jim.
    I've been in AZ for 35 yrs. but central Pa is still home,
    I left to escape the cold, and figured there had to be something better to do than being a truck driver, or a cow, pig or chicken farmer

www.inspectaz.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Contemplating?

rick
    To really try to put a number on it. I have had a minimum of one to 2 calls a month since the beginning of the year about folks thinking they wanted to be a home inspector and how to go about it.

Yes I do believe you are right about the schools picking up business. Most of these folks recently got laid off. Some were single parent guys and some had wifes that may or not be able to support the household while they are getting started. I tried my darndest to sway them in other directions and may have on a few occasions.

My work has been way off compared to the year before this past year. aug 07 to aug 08 was my best year in the business since moving to TX. aug 08 to aug 09 has been my worse year since moving to TX 5 years ago. I should not say that. Jan 09 to aug 09 were my worse 8 month in the bus period. Maybe one month, I think may I pulled off a really good month.

If it were not for past clients whether it be referrrals to friends, one year warranty or folks buying there next home I would be hurting pretty bad.

Anyone thinking of getting into home inspection.................think again. As Rick said. This is the worse market in decades. Slow home sales....slow on home inspections. More home inspectors....even less home inspections.

If you folks are thinking of getting in there doing 200 dollar inspections...think again...you cannot live on that not to mention looking over your shoulder to see if Vinni or Toni comin ta visit yeah because you are doing 200 dollar home inspections.

Age old reason of a good woman who was moving with or without me. I decided to tag along.

After being out west for 16 years, I have no plans on moving back.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Chap Fichera Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Age old reason of a good woman who was moving with or without me. I decided to tag along.

After being out west for 16 years, I have no plans on moving back.
    Good reason. A buddy told me if his wife ever leaves him, he is going with her.

Chap Fichera Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    To really try to put a number on it. I have had a minimum of one to 2 calls a month since the beginning of the year about folks thinking they wanted to be a home inspector and how to go about it.

Yes I do believe you are right about the schools picking up business. Most of these folks recently got laid off. Some were single parent guys and some had wifes that may or not be able to support the household while they are getting started. I tried my darndest to sway them in other directions and may have on a few occasions.

My work has been way off compared to the year before this past year. aug 07 to aug 08 was my best year in the business since moving to TX. aug 08 to aug 09 has been my worse year since moving to TX 5 years ago. I should not say that. Jan 09 to aug 09 were my worse 8 month in the bus period. Maybe one month, I think may I pulled off a really good month.

If it were not for past clients whether it be referrrals to friends, one year warranty or folks buying there next home I would be hurting pretty bad.

Anyone thinking of getting into home inspection.................think again. As Rick said. This is the worse market in decades. Slow home sales....slow on home inspections. More home inspectors....even less home inspections.

If you folks are thinking of getting in there doing 200 dollar inspections...think again...you cannot live on that not to mention looking over your shoulder to see if Vinni or Toni comin ta visit yeah because you are doing 200 dollar home inspections.
    Appreciate your support.

How did you know I was from South Philly?

Mitchell Toelle Guest

If your body is worn out then you need to find something that doesn't require you to go into attics (all the way) and crawlspaces (all the way). If your body is screaming on any given day you are going to make the foolish decision to not go where you need to go. Hence, you will miss something and potentially be giving up your hard earned retirement dollars just to defend yourself.

You can't seriously be thinking that there is no physical demand on HI's. If you do......

Think again.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Toelle View Post
    If your body is worn out then you need to find something that doesn't require you to go into attics (all the way) and crawlspaces (all the way). If your body is screaming on any given day you are going to make the foolish decision to not go where you need to go. Hence, you will miss something and potentially be giving up your hard earned retirement dollars just to defend yourself.

You can't seriously be thinking that there is no physical demand on HI's. If you do......

Think again.
    No hard work to home inspection.

Hard work in home inspection is just considered hard work from those in California

This will be the easiest job you have ever done....... I still say....find something else to put your hard earned money into like a real job and real money and real benefits and real retirement.

Chap Fichera Guest

After working Commercial construction for 33 years I know what I can do. I'm not limited, but I just can't do it all day.... but thanks for the caution.

I've done 5 ride-alongs and have already been on big roofs and crawl spaces no problem and I don't see me being limited. In fact, it's sure easier than clearing forests and raking ballast for septic systems.... and much more manly than cleaning toilets in a bank.

Mitchell Toelle Guest

After working Commercial construction for 33 years I know what I can do. I'm not limited, but I just can't do it all day.... but thanks for the caution.

I've done 5 ride-alongs and have already been on big roofs and crawl spaces no problem and I don't see me being limited. In fact, it's sure easier than clearing forests and raking ballast for septic systems.... and much more manly than cleaning toilets in a bank.
    I didn't mean to slight you in the least about your capabilities, and I am sorry if that's what you took. I was just addressing your comments and attempting to state that this simply is not an "easy" profession and will certainly demand more from you (mentally and physically) than you appeared to be expecting.

Good luck and I wish you well.

Ron Bibler Guest

[QUOTE=Ted Menelly;101091]No hard work to home inspection.

Hard work in home inspection is just considered hard work from those in California QUOTE]

Hey is some one talking about me ? My eyers were ringing...

Best

Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 09-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.