Thread: Outlet

Default Outlet

I've never seen this kind of outlet. It was in a garage in a 1915 house with knob and tube wiring. Anyone know what it's use is?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    I've never seen this kind of outlet. It was in a garage in a 1915 house with knob and tube wiring. Anyone know what it's use is?
    There is a variation on that plug which accepts the flat prongs only, so what I think you have is a receptacle that accepts either standard 2 prong or antique 2 flat prong cords. I think there was a radio or phono unit that used those flat prongs.
    It could be a 20 amp 115 v circuit. There were not a lot of standards in them days.

Default Re: Outlet

Early on in the scheme of things there were 2 varieties of plugs in use. The one we still use with parallel prongs and a variety(Hubbell, among others) with in-line prongs. Receptacles that would accept either type were around for a few years with most appearing to have been installed in the '30s. These are strictly 15 AMP receptacles for 120 volts (actually 110 or 115 at the time).