Default Have you ever seen this set up?

Whatsa going on with this set up? Is this some type of cool down water mist system for the coils? The coils look like they are deterioating from the water. Water supply is set up from some sprinkler valve. Looks like Bubba has been doing his work here.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Have you ever seen this set up?

Had an old car once that wanted to overheat. I was too poor to fix it
    so I modified the windshield washer to spray on the radiator. Worked.

This just brought back the memories I thought had gone up in smoke.

Might be better if they filtered the water first.

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Texas Special

Best

Ron

imported_John Smith Guest

Rick, it looks like a homemade version of the Cool-N-Save.

Cool-N-Save: Instantly save up to 30% on your Air Conditioning costs!

They claim to have the corrosion of the coil thing beat. Call me skeptical.

Plus its endorsed by green weenie Ed Begley Jr.

Looks like that sprinkler solenoid valve is designed to turn the water on when the a/c goes on...It's a write-up, but at least it's creative.

Last edited by Matthew Barnicle; 09-12-2009 at 06:44 AM.

Andrew Christel Guest

Good Idea on a very low budget.Harry the Handyman strikes again!!!

Chuck Jones Guest

I lived in Phoenix years ago and had to replace an a/c condenser a couple of times. The last time the installer suggested a custom evap cooler around the condenser to precool the air. It seemed to function as designed. However, I moved to Denver and do not know the long term performace of this cooler. It had to be maintained just like any evap cooler.

Years ago, when the air conditioner seer rating was very low, it was common to use a pre-cooler on an air conditioner in this area.

We had two different types of pre-coolers in the Phoenix area. One was called a pre-cooler that worked on the swamp cooler principle. (had a pad that water ran over and air was drawn through) The second one was called a pre-cooler misting system. (like in Rick's picture, only a misting head that pre-cooled the air)

In the short term, both systems made the air conditioner run more efficient. However, in the long term they created a lot of new problems. Like mineral build up on the coils, deteriorating coils, problems with getting rid of waste water, etc.

Today, I only see bits and pieces of old pre-coolers laying on roofs etc. I never see them being used anymore. However, I think the pre-cooler misting systems are still being sold.

I will do a search on the web and see if I can find one for you.
    Try Mistcooling A.C. Pre Cooling Kit Air Conditioner Pre cooling System A.C. Mister AC Condensor

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria, Arizona

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

They try to push/sell that water misting idea to lower the condenser's head pressure.

If the refrigerant device is a capillary tube feed or fixed orifice type refrigerant metering device, with some conditions, it could cause liquid slugging & damage the compressor.

It might work to some degree if the refrigerant metering device is a Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) - which controls the rate of liquid-R flow according to the superheat.

Another problem is that hard water &/or chlorine will ruin the coil's fins.
    They would need to use rain water, even then it would only work under very hot outdoor temps.

IMO, That is not a good practice. - Darrell

Gee, maybe they oughta just drip the inside coil condensation across the outside coils!!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Gee, maybe they oughta just drip the inside coil condensation across the outside coils!!

-
    That is precisely what manufacturers have done for years on window units with a "slinger" ring on the condenser fan blade. It works and reduces the amount of liquid condensate dumping on the ground.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas