brianmiller Guest

Default Attic Access Walk-in Doors

One walk-in door to the attic appeared to be solid core, the other wasn't...My question pertains to the insulated value of the doors. Do the doors themselves provide the proper insulation between the attic space and living space, or does there need to be additional insulation on the attic side of the doors. I think yes, but not sure.

bm

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Attic Access Walk-in Doors

Think and treat is if it were a door to the outside, although the locking part is optional. It should be an exterior rated door, with weather stripping, etc. Additional insulation shouldn't be needed on either side, although it wouldn't hurt. It would make it a bit of a pain to go in and out of the door.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Think and treat is if it were a door to the outside, although the locking part is optional. It should be an exterior rated door, with weather stripping, etc. Additional insulation shouldn't be needed on either side, although it wouldn't hurt. It would make it a bit of a pain to go in and out of the door.

Jim,

You are applying the reason (I think this is your reason) that the attic wall should be treated as an exterior wall as regards insulation R-value, however, the attic wall is supposed to be treated as attic ceiling area with regards to its insulation R-value, meaning the door should satisfy the insulation requirements of the attic ceiling.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

brianmiller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jim,
    the attic wall is supposed to be treated as attic ceiling area with regards to its insulation R-value, meaning the door should satisfy the insulation requirements of the attic ceiling.
    and, therefore, the door needs additional insualtaion, as no way a door by itself would meet the requirement of the insulation levels for a ceiling? Correct , Jerry?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    and, therefore, the door needs additional insualtaion, as no way a door by itself would meet the requirement of the insulation levels for a ceiling? Correct , Jerry?

Basically, correct ... however, I'm trying to find something I thought was in the code (went out for supper and just got back) that stated an exemption (to a degree) for attic access opening insulation, but so far have not found it.

That means I'm either having a brain fart thinking it is there, or a brain fart not finding that exception.

Without an exception for the attic access doors/hatches/scuttle covers they would be required to be insulated to the same R-value required for the attic ceiling, or to a higher upgraded level if the insulation has been upgraded.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I cannot find an exception which exempts attic access opening closures (doors, covers, hatches, etc.) from the insulation requirements of an attic.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    One walk-in door to the attic appeared to be solid core, the other wasn't...My question pertains to the insulated value of the doors. Do the doors themselves provide the proper insulation between the attic space and living space, or does there need to be additional insulation on the attic side of the doors. I think yes, but not sure.

bm
    Insulated and weather stripped ask an exterior door just as pull down stairs are suppose to be nowadays (actually forever)

The foam insulation in an exterior door will give you a better R value the standard fiberglass wall insulation. To not have it insulated you might as well just have an open hole in the wall because you would have almost the same energy efficiency loss.

I write up and wall, ceiling, door, pull down stairs etc that is not insulated to the exterior/attic. All those hollow core doors you see to attics that just have weather stripping around them just does not cut it.