Scott Murdock Guest

Default Cook top too close to cabinet or vent

I was told I was being too picky calling out a cook top less than 20 inches of vent hood. I explained although the stove being used wasn't causing any trouble now it may later on and if someone was too bring in a big daddy Viking or something similar it may have adverse affect and a fire hazard with the higher btu's of other stove tops. Just curious if other inspectors call this issue out typically? Wasn't a big deal just curious what other were doing.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Cook top too close to cabinet or vent

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Murdock View Post
    I was told I was being too picky calling out a cook top less than 20 inches of vent hood.
    At the bottom of the microwave over over the cooktop, or to the vent hood mounted to the bottom of the cabinet above the cooktop?

The bottom of the combustible wood cabinet is REQUIRED to be a minimum of 30" above the cooking surface of the cooktop. And that 30" extends out to each side of the cooktop, and in many cases extends out past the edges of the cooktop.

I explained although the stove being used wasn't causing any trouble now it may later on and if someone was too bring in a big daddy Viking or something similar ...
    And then ... *at that time* ... there may be a problem.

Do you look at a water heater and see that it just meets the spaces around it, and then point out that if they bring in a fat low boy water heater it will not fit in that same space? Just curious and trying to figure out your thought process.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Timothy M. Barr Guest

This close to what we are takling about. This question refers to side clearance of stove.Is there anything about what that is suppose to be. Reason is I seen a stove pushed in place a counter builder that made the counter to tight between counters. Stove cannot be taken out without damaging the stove or/and counter Zero clearance. Isn't there suppose to be some air gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy M. Barr View Post
    This close to what we are takling about. This question refers to side clearance of stove.Is there anything about what that is suppose to be. Reason is I seen a stove pushed in place a counter builder that made the counter to tight between counters. Stove cannot be taken out without damaging the stove or/and counter Zero clearance. Isn't there suppose to be some air gap?
    Are you talking about side clearance where the counter top meets the edges of the stove and we are talking about a free standing stove? I'm not aware of any other than common sense and good building practices. Also, you must be able to remove the stove for servicing if it is ever needed

Most are fairly flush, mine at my home has very little space.

How did they install the stove if it is too tight to get back out?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

"How did they install the stove if it is too tight to get back out?"

Water from spills go between the stove and cabinet. Over time this will swell the cabinet sides and can make removing the stove nearly impossible.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Timothy M. Barr Guest

Two guys about 280 pounds each pushed it in place. I tired moving it after they left No way it can be moved. Never gave it a thought about water swelling up the wood. That guys

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Gas or electric? If gas your fuel gas code and the manufacturer's instructions apply - this includes the mfg's references to model code reference minimum space requirements - not from the cook top but the point at which the pan or pot rests.

Not all ranges are free standing. Some slide in mount.

Mentions cook top and stove. Cook top is top unit no oven. Range has both functions one appliance.

Have also seen built-in ovens mounted below cook-tops.

Your Mileage May Vary.
    *dependent upon your specific model

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Mfg's usually reference ANSI or NFPA 54 for gas cooking appliances in installation instructions.

The 2009 edition covers this for residential at 10.15, for listed and unlisted appliances, including the horizontal clearances and vertical clearances for the cook top surface. Exceptions deferring to the microhood appliance exist but should the combustible cabinetry above be less than 30" and any portion remains exposed must be shielded.

You can review NFPA 54 on line for free if you signup.

When the appliance is listed, such clearance requirements are required to be incorporated in the listed instructions - the mfg'er may do so by reference to the ANSI standard, reference to IFGC or the NFGC (NFPA 54), and just point out the exceptions.

The listed microhood would also spell out any clearance requirements, especially if capable (listed/tested) of being installed closer than the minimal requirements above a cooktop provided for in the various model codes and ANSI standards for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy M. Barr View Post
    Manufacturer's listed instructions depend on the appliance listing.

Household cooking appliance listing categories vary, as do required shielding, insulation, etc.

Electric or Gas ranges can be free-standing, slide in, built-in, oven, cook-tops and ranges.

Refer to Manufacturer's instructions for listed appliances (assuring they are indeed listed as household appliances) and any standards, model codes, etc. referenced therein - apply local code adoptions with local ammendments, and ensure no conflict with more restrictive manufacturer's instructions.