Default Flashlight Comparison

Well, my new TK40 flashlight from Fenix just arrived and I have now played with it for one day. It is a very impressive flashlight. I thought I would pass on some information on how it compares to the TK11 and Ultra Stinger flashlight.

The TK40 (630 lumens) has 8 modes of operation:

4-type of primary output:
    Low: 13 lumens (130hrs) Mid: 93 lumens (20hrs) High:277 lumens (6.8hrs)
    Turbo Mode: 630 lumens (2hrs)

4-type Strobe mode: Strobe, Slow Flash, SOS, Fast Flash

It uses eight 1.5V AA batteries. The battery holder is designed to have (4) AA batteries run in series for a total of 6.0 VDC. It also has another group of (4) AA batteries run in series for a total of 6.0 VDC. The two groups of batteries are then tied together as parallel for a total of 6.0 VDC. Per the manual, in an emergency, the flashlight can be run on only 4 batteries. However, they do not recommend using the turbo mode or the batteries may overheat.

The battery holder was sort of a pain to put batteries in and to take them back out. It would be a big hassle to change batteries every two hours if you are using the turbo mode. My goal will be to find some rechargeable batteries going forward to help keep my cost down.

The push-button tailcap switch is somewhat of a hassle to use on the TK40 due to the size of the flashlight. On the TK11 it is easier to reach down to the bottom of the flashlight with one hand to turn it on.

Operating the flashlight is pretty simple and is all through the bottom tailcap switch.

• Pressing the tailcap switch turns the light on and off, and it remembers the last PRIMARY mode (low, medium, high, turbo) you used.
    • With the flashlight on, hold down the tailcap button for 1 second to go to the next mode. (You have to release and press again for 1 second to go through the modes. Keeping the button held down does NOT cycle through modes)
    • Double-click the tailcap switch to activate the flashing mode that goes with the power mode you are currently on.

The flashing modes are as follows:
    • Low power = Slow flash
    • Medium power = SOS flash
    • High power = Fast flash
    • Turbo power = Strobe (very disorientating!)

Now, let me talk about the comparison of the flashlights for a second. The first question everyone seems to ask is, which flashlight is brighter? I guess we need to define brighter. In the old days, if a flashlight beam went 50 feet, and another flashlight went 75 feet, the second flashlight would be brighter.
    The TK40 and the TK11 beam both seem to go about the same distance. However, the TK40 main beam is a lot larger. I would not call it necessarily brighter, but more light. If you could tape (3) TK11's together, the beam would not go any farther, but the size of the beam would be larger. (total more light)

If you compare the TK11 to the Ultra Stinger flashlight, your first thought is that the TK11 is brighter. However, I tend to think that they are both the same. The Ultra Stinger has more of a yellow light where the TK11 has a white light. I think I tend to prefer the white light myself.

During yesterday's inspection, I used both the TK40 and the TK11 flashlight in the attic. I felt that both were equally bright, however the TK40's larger beam showed a larger area of the attic at any one time. My preference is to use the TK40 in the attic because more of the attic is lit up.

I found that the TK11 worked better in the house where I didn't need a large volume of light at one time. (still equally as bright)

The TK40 does not come with any type of holster. I used an old Maglite belt (ring) holder. It seemed to work fairly well, but sometimes it did hang up. The TK40 is not as smooth as the Ultra Stinger flashlight.

The downsides for the TK40 include its price, size and lack of a built-in recharging function. At $154.95, you will want to avoid leaving the TK40 at one of your inspections. But from what I can tell so far, the light is built to offer many years of reliable service and withstand the rigors of the home inspection. Frankly, you pay for power and this flashlight is worth its price.

I will attach some pictures of the flashlight in case you have not seen one yet. On the left will be the Ultra Stinger flashlight, then the TK40, and on the right the TK11.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Flashlight Comparison

I tried to take a picture of all three flashlight beams on a wall about nine feet away. Sorry, it did not turn out too well. The other picture is of the TK40 by itself. The next time I go into a dark attic I will try to take some pictures and post them later.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Somebody's has a flashlight fetish I believe.

Seriously Jeff, there's not a flashlight made cheap or expensive that I probably won't leave somewhere sometime. The more expensive ones I have drove back for. Some of the cheaper ones aren't worth the time and expense to make the trip back for them.

As far as the lights in the attic, I don't really care for a really intense bright white flashlight as it has a tendency to wash out some things or cast a shadow on others.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

3-Cell MAG.... Ive been using these for 10 years now. pound nails. smash things with it. They work hard for the money...

Best

Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    As far as the lights in the attic, I don't really care for a really intense bright white flashlight rick
    Rick your Avatar looks a little down and sad today Whats up bub?

Best

Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging

Does either of the alternate lights have an adjustable spot like the ultra stinger?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

The TK11 and the TK40 cannot be adjusted to get a sharper or more concentrated beam. You only have different power levels. Both lights are bright enough that you don't need to have a more concentrated beam.

Rick,

The TK40 is not a one million candle power light. It does not wash anything out or create shadows etc. However, it is very impressive for a LED light. If you saw one in action, I think you would be very impressed with the flashlight. The only main drawback that I see is that the batteries will only last 2 hours in turbo mode.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

After using the Mag charger and Ultra Stinger in the past, I am sold on the TK11 R2 from Fenix.

I recently bought a Coast "Tactical Use" LED flashlight. $40 at Home Depot. It is the slightly larger than a roll of quarters (1" X 4 1/2") making it very compact. It produces a very bright light with a fairly focused beam. It operates on 3 AAA batteries and the packaging claims a battery life of 128 hours. I like this flashlight so much that I bought a second one to keep in my vehicle.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I've been using Streamlights for 13 years with few problems. I am curious though why so many folks feel that they need a flashlight that will peel paint at 75 feet.

I've been using Streamlights for 13 years with few problems. I am curious though why so many folks feel that they need a flashlight that will peel paint at 75 feet.
    I switched for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with killing bugs or peeling paint.
    1)It's much more compact, so it isn't knocking into walls when on my hip-- it fits in a shirt pocket.
    2)If I drop it, there's a better chance it won't cause damage, or kill someone for that matter if dropped from a roof.
    3)The battery life is much better.
    4)I can use re- chargeable, or non re- chargeable batteries.

A.D. Miller Guest

1)It's much more compact, so it isn't knocking into walls when on my hip-- it fits in a shirt pocket.
    BW: OK, but it won't fend off pit bulls, stop TPR valves from leaking or bend over 16D nails that have just stuck you in the hand, right?

2)If I drop it, there's a better chance it won't cause damage, or kill someone for that matter if dropped from a roof.
    BW: Anyone stupid enough to stand under me when I am working deserves whatever they get. And why pray tell would you be taking a flashlight up on a roof? Moonlighting?

3)The battery life is much better.
    BW: Mine last throughout two inspections. That is plenty for me.

4)I can use re- chargeable, or non re- chargeable batteries.
    BW: Ditto here.

"And why pray tell would you be taking a flashlight up on a roof? Moonlighting?"

When the ladder falls, and you are stranded on the roof, you can signal for help. He did say it had SOS flash.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "And why pray tell would you be taking a flashlight up on a roof? Moonlighting?"

When the ladder falls, and you are stranded on the roof, you can signal for help. He did say it had SOS flash.
    RC: I can envision it now. A neighbor notices some loon on the roof across the street with a strobe light (that is if the neighbor comes soon, since the strobe rapidly depletes the batteries). The neighbor is wearing an aluminum foil hat with jumper wiring to prevent just such strobe lights from interfering with his brain waves . . . he retrieves his shotgun . . . loon flies off the roof -backwards and rapidly . . .

BW: Anyone stupid enough to stand under me when I am working deserves whatever they get. And why pray tell would you be taking a flashlight up on a roof? Moonlighting?
    Why, to drop them of course.

Lots of reasons, here's a few........
    Looking down chimneys, vents, pipes, etc.
    Looking through eave vent screens to make sure there's air space between insulation and sheathing.
    Flashing check (peel up step flashing, shine light underneath to check for proper lap of course below)

I'm curious as to how many inspectors do vs. do not take flashlights with them onto the roof.

Weird. As soon as I posted, I noticed this ad below my post:

Rob Yarboro Guest

Ok, there IS a site for those who have a flashlight fetish. Who woulda thought?

CandlePowerForums

I was considering one of those

settled for a 3-Cell Maglite LED

That with by 2-AA maglite LED ias all I now carry.

And batteries Last for ever...........

Can't beat Maglite Price/Quality.

S./be coming out with an LED with rechargeable Power Pack

Can't wait..........

As for chimneys

I shoot a pick down thew tube with my flash digital camera..........

A.D. Miller Guest

I guess this is the kind of crap most of you would be interested in:

The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers

Ron Bibler Guest

So if your going along in an attic and drop this Flash light and it finds its way into a hole and you can not get to it in time and it strats a fire You got a problem...

YouTube - Wicked Lasers Torch - Burn Paper

Best

Ron

I bet you could get a broker to run up a set of stairs with that one.

I have been using the MagCharger flashlights for 15 years. I have 4 of them, and usually take 2 with me each day, just to have a spare. I have 4 because: I needed one when I sent one in for repair, a store was going out of business and got one for $39.00, and won one at a inspection conference.

My batteries last between 2 - 3 years. I buy them on E-Bay or the local battery store.

I also have 2 little guys, that are very bright. One is Smith & Wesson and the other is Browning. I bought them both at Cabelas during a close out sale. They both use the CA123A lithium batteries. I did find a low cost battery supplier on E-Bay, and may use these as my daily driver. They are very light and put out a lot of light.

I have found that some flashlights will not work with rechargable batteries, and some will. It seems that the really cool ones I like are close to $300 and I'm not that well to do.

I continue to use my MagChargers, but they seem heavier each day.

I do take them on the roof to look down chimneys mostly.

If you need to fix breakfast for 2 with the Torch flashlight make sure to order an extra battery.
    I couldn't justify carrying around a full size flashlight with only a 15 minute run time.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I also have 2 little guys, that are very bright. One is Smith & Wesson and the other is Browning. I bought them both at Cabelas during a close out sale. They both use the CA123A lithium batteries. I did find a low cost battery supplier on E-Bay, and may use these as my daily driver. They are very light and put out a lot of light.
    Sounds like my SureFire G2 flashlights.

What source for the batteries and at what price?

SureFire has the 123A Lithium batteries 12 for $21. Surefire Batteries | SureFire 3 Volt Lithium Batteries - Box of 12

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Another flashlight aficionado on crack:

YouTube - Laser Flashlight Hack!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    After using the Mag charger and Ultra Stinger in the past, I am sold on the TK11 R2 from Fenix.

I second the motion. TK11 w/ the 3.7v L-ion rechargeable battery.

BTW, I accidentally slammed my TK11 onto a concrete slab the other day and it didn't even blink. When I say slammed, I don't mean dropped. I mean forcefully slammed down.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I second the motion. TK11 w/ the 3.7v L-ion rechargeable battery.

BTW, I accidentally slammed my TK11 onto a concrete slab the other day and it didn't even blink. When I say slammed, I don't mean dropped. I mean forcefully slammed down.
    JDJ: Never took you for a crack smoker . . .

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JDJ: Never took you for a crack smoker . . .

A fish doesn't know it's wet.

A skunk doesn't know it stinks.

A dung beetle doesn't realize that it's eating poop.

A dog has NO idea why he shouldn't drink from the toilet bowl.

So, A.D. my dear friend, which one are are you?

Yes I'm being a smart ass but my bet is this. If you pick up a TK11, my bet is you wouldn't put it down.

My Ultra Stinger will barely make it through an average inspection before running dim. The TK11 has gone 3+ before needing a charge. It's a fraction of the weight and bulk, it's cheaper, it's brighter. I wish I had bought the TK11 first. Had I done that, I wouldn't even own the Stinger. The Stinger been in the bag as a backup but I've never needed it.

A.D. Miller Guest

A fish doesn't know it's wet.
    A skunk doesn't know it stinks.

A dung beetle doesn't realize that it's eating poop.

A dog has NO idea why he shouldn't drink from the toilet bowl.

JDJ: These are, I believe, only assumptions on your part? Or are they familial givens?

Yes I'm being a smart ass

JDJ: At least.

My Ultra Stinger will barely make it through an average inspection before running dim. The TK11 has gone 3+ before needing a charge. It's a fraction of the weight and bulk, it's cheaper, it's brighter. I wish I had bought the TK11 first. Had I done that, I wouldn't even own the Stinger. The Stinger been in the bag as a backup but I've never needed it.
    I have never owned a Stinger or Ultra Stinger. Just the pedestrian SL-20X models. I carry two, though the batteries for each last through two inspections.

I have no need to ignite matches, burn paper, melt plastic cups, cook eggs or any other such stupid crap with a flashlight. I simply use them to shed a bit more light on subjects of interest.

But, due to their size and weight, they do have other undeniable advantages over your toy lights. I have dissuaded more than a few errant mutts from visiting too close. I used one once it in much the same manner to thwart an onslaught from an angry lead carpenter on a pre-drywall inspection.

I guess, if I were so inclined, I could follow the posted instructions thus turning my Streamlight into a laser beam with interplanetary communication capabilities. Hey, that's it! Maybe I could then reach RB, TM, ML and some of the various other-worldly wackos on this forum. Hmmm, let's see . . . .

A.D.,

You are aware that in this business, the ability to see is probably the most important thing. These things don't blind you or burn paint off the wall. They give you more light, considerably more.

More light is more sight. Thats the way I see it.

Now you and I might be equally stubborn so you can have the last word.

...The TK11 has gone 3+ before needing a charge. It's a fraction of the weight and bulk, it's cheaper, it's brighter. I wish I had bought the TK11 first. Had I done that, I wouldn't even own the Stinger. The Stinger been in the bag as a backup but I've never needed it.

John - I can't find on the Fenix website: how do you turn the TK11 on? You don't need two hands, do you? I have a tiny Fenix that I love, but you have to turn the the end to turn it on, using two hands.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    John - I can't find on the Fenix website: how do you turn the TK11 on? You don't need two hands, do you? I have a tiny Fenix that I love, but you have to turn the the end to turn it on, using two hands.
    Never mind. I found it.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

You are aware that in this business, the ability to see is probably the most important thing. These things don't blind you or burn paint off the wall. They give you more light, considerably more.
    JDJ: It could be your eyes need tuning up.

More light is more sight. Thats the way I see it.
    JDJ: Knowing what to look for, being able to recognize what you see, and understanding what it is you are viewing are more important than bathing the subject, assuming you can even find it, in multiple thousands of lumens, just because you can.

Now you and I might be equally stubborn
    JDJ: "Might" being the operative term there.

so you can have the last word.
    JDJ: Don't mind if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post

It has a push button on the end cap. I can turn it on and off easily with my thumb.

Another thing I like about the TK11 is that its small enough to hold in my mouth when I need both hands free. Laugh if you want but it's useful. Especially when climbing through attic trusses.

A.D. Miller Guest

It has a push button on the end cap. I can turn it on and off easily with my thumb.

Another thing I like about the TK11 is that its small enough to hold in my mouth when I need both hands free. Laugh if you want but it's useful. Especially when climbing through attic trusses.
    JDJ: All will be well until you have another little slamming session . . .