K Robertson Guest

Default Stage/Phase inspections

Didn't know exactly where to put this so just stuck it here. When you get a call for new construction stage/phase (what ever you want to call it) inspections, and the client asks, "at what points and how many stages do you recommend inspecting?" How do you answer this. With some of the builders these days I'm almost inclined to reply with, "every day until the house is completed", but that's just not realistic. So, how do you answer this question and at what stages do you generally perform these? I've only done a handfull and they (the client) have always told me exactly how many trips they were willing to pay for, so it's been easy until now.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Stage/Phase inspections

I tell them that most people just do the pre-drywall and final.
    On very large homes, a framing inspection is recommended before they proceed very far. 60-80 percent of the problems I find are with the framing.
    Some are serious structural issues.

Some clients want the slabs looked at before framing and a few wanted weekly visits.

Some builders only allow the predrywall and final by contract with the buyer but will waive that unofficially in some cases.

Footer inspections are important but I have not had anyone schedule anything that early. The footers are one of the few things the AHJ does inspect very well.

K Robertson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Some builders only allow the predrywall and final by contract with the buyer but will waive that unofficially in some cases.

Don't know about SC, but here in Texas, if a buyer wants an inspection, they get it, and builder has nothing they can say about it. If they baulk at being inspected, that buyer better turn and run as far and fast as they can.

Bob Kelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    I tell them that most people just do the pre-drywall and final.
    My preference is pre-insulation and final because insulation can hide a lot of problems.

Bob

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

I HAVE DONE SEVERAL PHASE INSPECTIONS. PHASE #1: I WANT TO LOOK AT THE FOUNDATION PRIOR TO BEING POURED TO ENSUE THE PLUMBING SUPPLY LINES ARE PROTECTED FROM CONTACT WITH THE CONCRETE. THE CHEMICALS IN THE CEMENT IN THE CONCRETE WILL, IN TIME, CAUSE THE COPPER LINES TO FAIL, CAUSING A "SLAB LEAK". PHASE #2: INSPECT THE FRAMING PRIOR TO THE INSTALLATION OF THE DRYWALL FOR PROPER HEADERS, JOIST HANGERS, CLEARANCE OF ELECTRICAL WIRING & PLUMBING LINES FROM THE FACE OF THE FRAMING STUDS (NAILS PUNCTURING THE SAID LINES). PHASE #3: FINAL INSPECTION. MY FEES ARE $100.00 PER TRIP (PHASE #1 & #2) AND $200.00 FINAL INSPECTION.

Terry Neyedli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    I HAVE DONE SEVERAL PHASE INSPECTIONS. PHASE #1: I WANT TO LOOK AT THE FOUNDATION PRIOR TO BEING POURED TO ENSUE THE PLUMBING SUPPLY LINES ARE PROTECTED FROM CONTACT WITH THE CONCRETE. THE CHEMICALS IN THE CEMENT IN THE CONCRETE WILL, IN TIME, CAUSE THE COPPER LINES TO FAIL, CAUSING A "SLAB LEAK". PHASE #2: INSPECT THE FRAMING PRIOR TO THE INSTALLATION OF THE DRYWALL FOR PROPER HEADERS, JOIST HANGERS, CLEARANCE OF ELECTRICAL WIRING & PLUMBING LINES FROM THE FACE OF THE FRAMING STUDS (NAILS PUNCTURING THE SAID LINES). PHASE #3: FINAL INSPECTION. MY FEES ARE $100.00 PER TRIP (PHASE #1 & #2) AND $200.00 FINAL INSPECTION.
    I have at least 7 steps to new/phased construction inspections. From the bare hole in the ground (utilities connections), pre-foundation pour, crawl/first floor framing, post truss/roof installation, post wire/plumbing, pre-exterior cladding and final walk-through. The pictures (upwards of 150) are edited and then presented in a photo album. This has been very well received specially from out of town purchasers.
    T.Neyedli
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
    My preference is pre-insulation and final because insulation can hide a lot of problems.

Bob

Right, around here pre-drywall is the terminology for pre-insulation.

The builders know to wait on the insulation after having to remove a lot for corrections.