David McGuire Guest

Default Soon to be in Kansas

Good evening everyone. I am just starting on the long journey to become a home inspector. I live in McLouth KS and just got enrolled in school today. I downloaded the software and my books will arrive next week. Then its study, study, study and test. More study more test. Over and over again.

A lot of people questioned if this was the right time to get into this field due to the economy. I didn't think twice. Even if the economy has home buying down, it will come back soon. And if it is down, the down time is the perfect time to learn and get experience.

So, this is me. I am 48, a disabled cop from traumatic brain injury. I am married with 2 grown boys and 5 grand-kids. Air Force vet.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Soon to be in Kansas

Welcome David,

Wishing your success in your new venture.

A lot can be learned from this site.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Welcome David,

Wishing your success in your new venture.

A lot can be learned from this site.

Bill, I have been trying to get started on this for just over a year. Ya know, money is a precious thing. Especially when you only have so much and it has to be stretched in so many different ways. But the course is paid for, tools and equipment all good to go. I have been reading this forum for almost a year now as a guest. All kinds of good and helpful info. The average home owner could leant so much by coming to a site like this and reading horror stories of what is going on in some homes.

I can't wait to finally be out doing inspections and making money. That is going to be a good day.

Welcome David,

As Billy mentioned, this is a great place to learn. In fact, this board is more educational to me than every CEU class I've ever taken. There's nothing like talking and sharing experiences with a bunch of guys out in the field every day.

Don't be afraid to jump right in to discussions or post any questions you have.

Thanks for your service to our country and best of luck.

James Skinner Guest

David good luck to you. Now is the time to start thinking about how you will prepare/deliever your report. No one told me about this when I started, I wish they had.

A.D. Miller Guest

its study, study, study and test. More study more test. Over and over again.
    DM: And this will never end . . .

A lot of people questioned if this was the right time to get into this field due to the economy.
    DM: With good reason, I might add.

I didn't think twice.
    DM: The rule is: think twice, act once. But, a lack of hesitation when moving toward one's dream is laudable. Welcome to the madhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Good evening everyone. I am just starting on the long journey to become a home inspector. I live in McLouth KS and just got enrolled in school today. I downloaded the software and my books will arrive next week. Then its study, study, study and test. More study more test. Over and over again.

A lot of people questioned if this was the right time to get into this field due to the economy. I didn't think twice. Even if the economy has home buying down, it will come back soon. And if it is down, the down time is the perfect time to learn and get experience.

So, this is me. I am 48, a disabled cop from traumatic brain injury. I am married with 2 grown boys and 5 grand-kids. Air Force vet.
    Welcome David,

I'm sure you are aware that Kansas passed a home inspector license law, last year and it went back to the legislatures for some changes and passed again. If I'm not mistaken the "go live" date is July or August 2010. I know that they have a board in place, have written some rules and were working on an SOP.

If you have not already done so, you might want to find out exactly what the requirements to obtain a license will be. Better done now, then to find out that you have to take more classes later!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Welcome David,

I'm sure you are aware that Kansas passed a home inspector license law, last year and it went back to the legislatures for some changes and passed again. If I'm not mistaken the "go live" date is July or August 2010. I know that they have a board in place, have written some rules and were working on an SOP.
    Hey Scott, yes I know all about this one. Now to find the right person in Topeka with the answer. I bet this one gets backed up again. They are no where near finalizing the package. But, in case nobody posts it here, when they do I shall make a notification. In a way I wish they would do it soon. In another I wish they would take a few years. But, set in stone reg's are better than a loose fit unbound group of things that appear to be reg's but are worthless..

Hey Scott, yes I know all about this one. Now to find the right person in Topeka with the answer. I bet this one gets backed up again. They are no where near finalizing the package. But, in case nobody posts it here, when they do I shall make a notification. In a way I wish they would do it soon. In another I wish they would take a few years. But, set in stone reg's are better than a loose fit unbound group of things that appear to be reg's but are worthless..
    Looks like they are moving along with it! They approved the SOP for the law yesterday!! http://khirb.files.wordpress.com/200...9-complete.pdf

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bill, I have been trying to get started on this for just over a year....

I can't wait to finally be out doing inspections and making money. That is going to be a good day.
    I hate to present negatives while you are being sooo optimistic but you know, doing the courses and passing tests may be the easiest part. Getting known, recognized AND getting the phone to ring with new clients is the toughest part by far, and can take a year or two (or more, depending on how aggressive your marketing approach).

The real question is, do you have enough reserve or stamina to survive until a steady income can be made?

Good luck with it.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    I hate to present negatives while you are being sooo optimistic but you know, doing the courses and passing tests may be the easiest part. Getting known, recognized AND getting the phone to ring with new clients is the toughest part by far, and can take a year or two (or more, depending on how aggressive your marketing approach).

The real question is, do you have enough reserve or stamina to survive until a steady income can be made?

Good luck with it.
    You know what Joe, your right. You asked the real question and thank you for that. I like reality. The real answer is yes. I definitely have the stamina and determination to make it worth the wait and hard work. I don't roll over. i bend and make room. Ya know, I was in the sir force, but should have been a Marine. My whole life has been a case in point of improvising, ovre coming and adapting. I have far too much farm blood in me to be the kind of person who gives up and breaks.

And ya know, everybody here fought through the trenches to get where they are. Why can't I succeed just like everybody else. Life is a challenge. We are what we make of ourselves. We either stand up to the challenge or run away.

Chap Fichera Guest

Well.... I'm doing like you are. Joined ASHI and the local chapter and have courses coming in the mail. I'm committed now and moving forward.

I'm expecting it to work out.

From what I hear 1/3 of being successful is your personality and how you deal with people, so keep the barking Marine in you to a minimum.

Keep in touch and good luck to us both.

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chap Fichera View Post
    I'm expecting it to work out.

From what I hear 1/3 of being successful is your personality and how you deal with people, so keep the barking Marine in you to a minimum.

Keep in touch and good luck to us both.
    Yea I think it will work out. I deal with people pretty darn good. Honest and open. But I know how far to take that, especially in a rural area. That barking Marine isn't very loud really. Its just the mentality of accepting the challenge and doing the hard work to overcome the obstacles really. I have no doubt it will work out. The realtors all around here no I have been trying to get this going. Now they all know it is all about to happen and they are happy. Not very many inspectors in these parts. The new housing market in this area has never been much business anyhow. Its all the existing home sales in these parts. I have a lot to learn, especially about rural and farm property, but it can all be learned. I know a lot of the tricks that contractors use to make things look right, but aren't. And after about 10 years or so, these things have a way of exposing themselves pretty readily.