Default Religious beliefs

There has been some post on religious beliefs.
    I thought (hope) that this would give some insight as to how each other might see the other side.
    And maybe, with a little understand and courtesy, we can avoid using insults when in a useless and heated argument.

To those making statements about their religious beliefs, or lack of.
    Be courteous and do not provoke someone.
    Much in the same way as a restaurant, movie theater, or bookstore, is open to the public, InspectionNews is open to the public. However InspectionNews is not a public forum, it is a private establishment, which is open to the public and is therefore subject to the courtesies that are expected when someone is at any private establishment.
    When at a private establishment that is open to the public, most consider it inappropriate to express religious views and beliefs to the other patrons. Doing so will get you stares, and you could even be asked to leave? In fact it’s rude.
    What some might think of as “My right to express my beliefs” is interfering with someone else’s right to peaceable enjoy their meal, movie, or book. If you are at a movie and someone stood and read the Bible, Koran, or Origin of the Species, what would you do? That’s a rhetorical question.
    That said, when at a restaurant, I have never seen anyone object, because someone prayed before they ate their meal.
    In the same manner, someone should not object to or be offended, just because there is mention of God, a Savior, or likewise, in a post (Mention not preach). And it certainly is no reason for retaliatory remarks.

This is an excerpt from IN’s rules

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Message Board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Note: Highlighted words include a link to an appropriate article of Wikipedia.com; also in the article are references on how it may relate to religion.

Even though Wikipedia may not be “The Authority” (if there is one), it does for the most part represent the prevailing view in common usage, however everyone may not accept the views it contains.

For those not wanting to spend the time needed to read an entire article, I have included some excerpts.

"profane" and "profanity" has therefore come to describe a word, expression, gesture, or other social behavior which is socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude, vulgar, desecrating, or showing disrespect.[1
    Other words commonly used to describe profane language or its use include: cuss, curse, derogatory language, swearing, expletive, oath, bad word, dirty word, strong language, irreverent language, obscene language, choice words, blasphemous language, foul language, and bad language

Since blasphemous language is included as profanity, here is a link to it.
    Blasphemous

…it is also sometimes defined as language expressing disbelief or disapproved beliefs, or ridiculing religious figures or symbols

Answer to some questions
    Yes, the views expressed are my own.
    Yes, I know I’m not the moderator.
    No, I am not trying to start a new debate.
    No, this is not my “Religious” view.

OREP Insurance
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Religious beliefs

Well

In the General chit chat area I would say about any topic or any opinion of any topic is free game for all sides to express any opinion or view point they wish. Of course the nasty down and dirty needs to be held back but expression of ones self on any topic brought up under general chit chat is open for all to comment on and add their 2 cents.

As far as the topic of religigion.

I am not sure if anyone can top my religious upbringing. I for one find religion extremely distastefull when it is pushed down ones throat. I also find it distasteful when one tells me or anyone else that if I do not think a certain way or present myself in a certain way that my soul is certainly not making it to their heavan.

I also cannot believe that anyone to say to another person that they read in a book (which all the contents was hand picked by a bunch of men from a pile to pick and choose from and a whole lot left out) that if you have heard of Jesus and do not follow his ways then you are definately not going to heavan. If you know of him and choose not to follow his ways then you are not going to heavan. So...where does that leave you to go ....hell.

I seriously do not think so.

Now to the religous bashers that must just take a shot at anyone who says the word "God" or just says "God forbid" or "God bless".......give it a freaking break.

For example...."God Bless You"..come back......."and which God are you referring to".............Seriously......Give it a rest.......enough is enough. If they do not come knocking on your door or demanding they sit down and pray with you etc etc or even standing in a resteraunt reading the bible out loud...rediculous anyway...Then give it a rest and stop with the come back.

I even say "God Bless you" when someone sneezes. Most (and I mean almost all) folks just say thank you. They don't have the bull sh*it come back of "Whose God" "What God" "Can't be my God" "I don't need your God" "I don't have a God" etc.

Both sides......give it a freaking rest.

If you love, want and need God in your life...Fine. Don't push it on anyone. The part about your duty to spread the word is just your particular religious belief...not everyones and they may want know part of it at all and you are only prevoking them.

For you folks out there that believe in no God.....give it a rest. Why do you feel you must tell everyone that there is not a God.

Now both sides are going to come back and say....."Well, they started it"

Freakin grow up.

Do all of you not know that because people have had religious differences whether it be a belief, different belief or no belief, It has been the number one killer of man kind.

How many millions upon who knows how many millions of lives have been lost do to religious differences.

All because no one can leave well enough alone and let thy neighbor believe in what he wishes with out pushing their belief down thine neighbors throat.

No one cares if you are an atheist.

No one cares if you are a Catholic.

No one cares if you are a Baptist or Jew or Budist etc

Or at least no one should. Smile and say hellow to your neighbor as long as he is not at your door blowing off his beliefs into the air you are breathing.

I was raised Catholic, but can't say I am a religious person, not even sure there is a GOD, but I do believe in a supreme being, but then again given the size of the universe maybe its just a freak that life sprang up because all the right ingredients were in place.
    Also don't believe we are the only intelligent life form in the universe.

Ron Bibler Guest

Well I never How to find a common ground is a very odd thing to find on a board like this. I can only give my point of view. And try to keep it short.

As a Christian I am always looking for an opportunity to bring a Biblical point of view to every one around me. Its who I am. I do not try to shove it in someones mouth but will not back down form a good exchange. I love pointing out to people that the Bible says if you are not Born again your on your way to hell... 666 COMING AFTER YOU.. L.O.L Come on lighten up GOT YA...

Some things start off as a joke. or what one person may find funny on the Internet another may think that person is piss off and then things go out the window...

I'm not bug-ed by anything someone says... I ride in a Christian Biker Club We find our selfs in places that most people would not go even some of the bad boys don't go in some of the dark hole we go... There nothing on this board that is going to get my back up. I like to have fun...

Its just a day by day process that each person is going to either understand or he will go though the process of getting edjamacated

Are you still hung up over that 666 thing Come on lighten up...

Best

Ron

Born Southern Baptist
    Raised Southern Baptist
    Will die Southern Baptist
    Now attend a non-denominational church.

Still, I have a tolerance for any religion and have studied many of them. Of course that might have to do with me going to a Jesuit college for two years!

Just yesterday I helped two LDS missionaries with a broken bicycle. Loaded both bikes in the back of my truck and drove them to their sponsors home about 20 minutes away. One of them saw my sons bible with the church bulletin sticking out of it. He asked if I was a christian and I replied that I was for the past 40 years. His reply was ""Kool" ! That was the end of religion talk in the truck! Next he asked how long I had been inspecting homes, etc, etc. Seems his uncle is a home inspector back in Utah.

I enjoyed the 20 minutes with the young men, they were clean and well educated and most of all they spoke intelligently. I did not force my religion on them and they did the same.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I heard a man on the radio the other day that had done a survey on why people don't go to church.

The number one answer.

The "So-called Christians" at the church.

Go figure.

rick

Smile Re: Religious beliefs

I am a Christian man I go to a non-denominational pentecostal Church. I gave my life to the Lord about 8 years ago. However I did not grow up in a Christian family or experience any type of religion or faith growing up. It was a very difficult and long process of finally deciding to become a Christian for me. I was one of those guys that said you can't see God how do know if there is a God etc. Becoming a Christian will stretch you, push you, and make you grow more as a person than anything I have ever experienced in my 42 years of age.

Most people make there mind up about Christianity and God based on what they were told as a kid or what they have seen on TV or read about in the media, which is usually all of the negative stuff. I believe that there is no better manual to live you life by than the Bible.

For all the people that get offended when people talk about God or try to push God on you let me help you understand. When you become a Christian and "get saved" it's like inheriting the riches of the world. You just want to share it with other people because you care about them.

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Smile Re: Religious beliefs

I totally agree with Trent's post. While we Christians would like to share our faith with you and anyone else who is willing to listen, a true Christian knows when to back off when he is politely asked. Yes, there are some zealots out there but most are not pushy. But that is not going to stop us from praying for you.

I am a member of another board and they specifically have a section that is dedicated to politics and religion. You have to have a certain number of posts to access this area. I also realize that this is an inspection chat board, but some of the things that happen in the religious and political world have a direct or indirect bearing on what we do. It also gives some of us a chance to get things off our our mind and see what others think.

Before some of you start blasting me, I would like to suggest to Brian to create such a section. You do not have to go in there. This keeps it out of the general section and if you do not want to see, hear, or participate then don't go in there. We are all bound together by one comment element and that is that we are all are inspectors or at least affiliated in some way. Another section allows some of us to break off in smaller groups with someone who shares our views or not.

Last edited by Mitchell Meeks; 09-22-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Meeks View Post
    I would like to suggest to Brian to create such a section.

I hope Brian does not create such a section - there is no need to.

If you want to go meet with religious people and talk religion, then there are many forms and boards available for you to do that.

Such a forum IS NOT NEEDED HERE.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Okay here is the question that I want answered.

Who created our universe, and who in turn created the creator of this universe?

And what are the explanations for paranormal activities?

Now thats deep!

"Okay here is the question that I want answered."

Ok which question did you want an answer to?

#1 Who created our universe,

#2 and who in turn created the creator of this universe?

#3 And what are the explanations for paranormal activities?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

All them, plus who is that man in the confessional booth that opens and closes the sliding door?

Some things are beyond our ability to answer with reason.
    For example;
    Science tell us that there is no beginning, middle, or end to the universe.
    I accept it, but I can't explain it with reason.

This will help put things in perspective, but doesn't explain my questions.

Its mind boggling.

YouTube - How big is the Universe?

Also Stephen Hawkings
    YouTube - Stephen Hawking: Asking big questions about the universe

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 09-22-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    This will help put things in perspective, but doesn't explain my questions.

Its mind boggling.

YouTube - How big is the Universe?

Also Stephen Hawkings
    YouTube - Stephen Hawking: Asking big questions about the universe
    It is not until you travel 100,000 years at the speed of light that the entire spiral milkyway is recognized

I have been interested in astronomy all my life and that simple fact alone always blows me away

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I hope Brian does not create such a section - there is no need to.

If you want to go meet with religious people and talk religion, then there are many forms and boards available for you to do that.

Such a forum IS NOT NEEDED HERE.
    I expected that from you Jerry P. That makes me even more determined to ask Brian to create this section. Like I said, you do not have to go in there.

The motion is on the floor for Brian to create a Politics and Religion Section. It can be one combined or separate sections. All in favor, Say Jerry P!

Well....

I would also recommend a section specifically for Canadian inspectors.

Richard Stanley Guest

I vote against the motion. NO RELIGION SECTION, THREAD, ETC.
    Go elsewhere for that crap .. and take that canuk (?) with you.

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Well....

I would also recommend a section specifically for Canadian inspectors.
    You support me and I will support you.

AYE!!

Richard
    If u are going to act like a jerk learn to spell its Canuck you Redneck!

Mitchell

I have no problems with your request, what I can't stand are people who think they should have their way only, or tell you what you can post or not post.

We are all equals here but some have a hard time digesting that.

Ultimately its up to Brian though.

Cheers,

Ted Menelly Guest

I think it is funny that the religious post got the attention of the no voters against the religious section enough to get the no voters here to vote against the religious section.

Not knocking either the religious or non religious mind you

I would vote NO on the religous section requested also.

Its a HOME INSPECTION BOARD

We all get sidetracked sometimes, but whenever religion is brought up it does nothing but cause the personal attacks to begin.

Everyone has their opinion on the subject but we should respect each other and let each choose their form of religion / belief and leave it be.

rick

Last night I was watching TV, Universe on the history channel.
    They were saying that the Universe was created in a millionth of a millionth of a millionth of a millionth of a second after the Big Bang. And in that short time the Universe was already millions of light years across. Now you might think that this would be a problem, since nothing can travel faster that the speed of light. How can the universe be millions of light years across in such a short time.
    Now this is the good part, and I'm not making it up.
    They said "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light,
    and Space is nothing, so Space can travel faster that the speed of light."
    Did you get that?
    NOTHING CAN travel faster than the speed of light,
    since SPACE IS NOTHING it CAN TRAVEL FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT.
    OK, it gets better, not only can space travel faster than the speed of light, but everything in that space gets carried along with at the same speed that the space is traveling.
    That is how it is explained how the Universe got so big, so quick.
    Now, I'm not saying that they (scientist) are wrong. In fact I have heard of a group of people who actually believe almost the exact same thing.

I would have to Vote No as well, and I'm a card carrying Southern Baptist Deacon! This is a home inspection forum and not a religious forum.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Please, NO religion forum or discussions. screw that. It just makes peoples brains mushy.
    The more fervent a person is about their religious beliefs, the less likely they are to be trustworthy. They always have an out for their mistakes. It's never their own fault. It's always someone else's, Satan, Jesus, etc.
    How's that for fueling the fire. Can we discuss vinyl siding now.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Please, NO religion forum or discussions. screw that. It just makes peoples brains mushy.
    The more fervent a person is about their religious beliefs, the less likely they are to be trustworthy. They always have an out for their mistakes. It's never their own fault. It's always someone else's, Satan, Jesus, etc.
    How's that for fueling the fire. Can we discuss vinyl siding now.
    Now, now. God isn't done with you yet.
    Anytime my mother-in-law would screw up, she would always say "God isn't done with me yet." referring to herself.

So what's your question on vinyl siding.

I joined this forum for Home Inspection information.

I do not want to know about the religious beliefs of people I meet and work with (clients, co workers etc.).

I absolutely adhere to the advice of not speaking about religion or politics with people, unless they are close friends.

I don't care what your beliefs are, or are not. However I am very interested in your knowledge, opinions, and your experiences as a home inspector that you bring to this forum.

Like others have said, there are many places that you can go to discuss your beliefs, just not here.

Derek Lewis

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lewis View Post
    I joined this forum for Home Inspection information.

I do not want to know about the religious beliefs of people I meet and work with (clients, co workers etc.).

I absolutely adhere to the advice of not speaking about religion or politics with people, unless they are close friends.

I don't care what your beliefs are, or are not. However I am very interested in your knowledge, opinions, and your experiences as a home inspector that you bring to this forum.

Like others have said, there are many places that you can go to discuss your beliefs, just not here.

Derek Lewis
    Why in the world did you click on this thread then Derek? Curiosity or just had to (compelled) to look further. Besides, I think that many of us consider ourselves "close friends" here. At least most of us try to treat each other in that manner.

Greetings Mitchel,

You ask, "Why in the world did you click on this thread"?

Well Mitchel, when I saw the title of this thread I asked myself why is there a thread for religious beliefs in a home inspection forum. So to answer your question as to why I clicked on this thread I'm going with, I was just curious.

You say "I think many of us think of ourselves as close friends here." I think many on this forum are friendly to each other, but to call someone you have never met in person or spent time with, a close friend. I don't agree. I would refer to that type of relationship as a friendly relationship, not a close friend.

I will continue to follow wise counsel, and not discus highly volatile subjects, such as religion and politics with people that I am not a "close friend" with. You may do as you please.

I do not want to hear about whether you believe or don't believe in a higher power, I do not want to hear about your or anyone else s political beliefs on this forum. There are too many places on the internet for that. I come to this Inspectors forum to learn, and I hope I can contribute on occasion.

Best regard

Derek Lewis

wes owens Guest

It does not matter to me either way.

I probably wouldn't discuss my beliefs anyway because of arguments.

However, to say that there should not be a section devoted to it because it does not have anything to do with inspecting is kinda hypocritical when we have "GENERAL CHIT CHAT".

The discription of "GENERAL CHIT CHAT" is topics unrelated to inspecting.

Not that I endorse a Religious thread, but those who are telling us that they do not care for a thread or topic, just who is forcing you to read what you don't like?

Raymond,

You miss the point.

This forum is for home inspectors to learn, to inform, to exchange information about home inspections.

Discussions of religion or politics causes arguments, is divisive, and has nothing to do with inspecting a home.

I just Googled "religious forums", there are over 36,500,000 sites.

Derek Lewis

So what if it causes arguements, so what if there are 36000000 other sites, this is this site, you don't have to read anything that is not home inspection related, thats the point.

I don't like liver, but I don't tell other people they shouldn't eat it either.

Whats next someone who doesn't like general chit chat cause it takes up bandwith?

Raymond,

Your reply makes my point.

We are arguing about discussing religion. Just talking about whether or not this is an appropriate subject for this forum is dividing us. We are not talking about home inspections, we are not sharing experience, we are not sharing our knowledge about our profession.

Derek Lewis

Derek

Then start another thread on something home inspected related its that simple.

Greetings Raymond,

Great suggestion.

I will heed your wise counsel, and indeed, start another thread.

Take care,

Derek Lewis

Thanks Derek. Someone sent me this and just to keep the topic on the light side....

YouTube - Family Guy - Coyote Finally Kills Roadrunner

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Its about time that annoying Road Runner got it. That *Beep-Beep* is enough to push anybody or something over a ledge.

I'm been on the Coyote's side for years.

rick

David Argabright Guest

Since this has turned into a scientific type thread I was wondering if one of you can tell me where the materials for the Big Bang originated from?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll go look at Hawkins video.

Can't help you with that one, but there might be a big bang on earth in the near future if Iran carries out its threats to build a nuclear bomb (they most likely already have one) and Israel carries out a premptive strike sooner rather then later.

Quote Originally Posted by David Argabright View Post
    Since this has turned into a scientific type thread I was wondering if one of you can tell me where the materials for the Big Bang originated from?

The previous implosion of the previous universe?

This is a simpler question to answer: Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mitchell Meeks Guest

I decided to sit back and see what everyone says. It appears that most of you only saw religion and then it stopped there. I said politics and/or religion. I don't really care to some extent what some of you think in regards to religion or even politics. I have my religion and I am not going to hide it. I realize that some of you do not want to even think about it and that is your choice, however, there are some of you I would not mind discussing religion or politics. Religion and politics does not have to be debate, it can be a general discussion. We have events that happen every day that you really need to be aware of. What does it have to do it with inspections? Some things, absolutely nothing. Some things, your life, your livelihood, your everlasting life.

It has also been pointed out that if you do not want to discuss it or even know about it, you do not have to click on it. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE THREAD OR SECTION! By putting it in a separate section, it makes it easier for you to just ignore that section. There are some sections that I do not go into because I am not interested in it or don't really care for it. It is the same for Religion and Politics. It can even be two different sections.

One more thing I would like to add. For some of you, the mere mention of religion set you off. I have respect for just about all of you. I have learned from all of you in some form or another. We have all shared laughs together. We have also shared sorrows together just like when a member's brother passed away. I have seen some heated debates and I have seen some very interesting debates. Some of us do not know the other personally, some of us do. Possibly as a result of this web site. But at the end of the day, we all need to respect each other. Regardless of what you think about them. You never know whether you may need a friend or a referral.

Post Re: Religious beliefs

It seems to me that people need to loosen up a little about Christianity. Life is full of choices. Exercise the choice not to read something if you don't like the topic.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Darrel Hood Guest

If the religion and politics section is created, it should not trigger the New Posts feature. Otherwise, folks will be required to open the section to clean out the New Posts section.

I just spent an hour or so checking out various religious forums. So far I haven't found any that have a HI section as part of their makeup. Can't figure out why they wouldn't have done that - it's such a logical fit!

I'm not sure what, if anything this topic will have to do with home inspection.

However, if the topic includes a segment about how not to offend a client, it may be enlightening. If the topic includes a segment about diverse cultures and how they relate to homes, it may be enlightening.

To some people, it's offensive to enter a home with shoes on. Why?
    To some people, it's important to know if someone died in the home. Why?
    To some people, it's not OK to inspect their home on Sunday. Why?

Is it important to know and understand the answers?

Ron Bibler Guest

Inspected a home some time back... There was a lady on the couch with broken legs. She was unable to get around. I could see she was very sad and down in the dumps. Not much help from others in the home... So I ask her if I could Pray for her... She was so Happy after we prayed...

I Could not walk out of that home without asking her if I could pray for her.

Now In all my years of Inspecting home I have only done that. That one time.
    But Im glad I did. That was a good day...

Sometimes we need to step out in faith.

Best

Ron