Jeff Baker Guest

Default Hot Water Heater Connectons

This may be a ridiculous question, but I've never seen it before.

The water heater pipe inlet and outlet connections are clearly marked blue for cold and red for hot. The water heater I looked at yesterday had the hot water outlet line servicing the home from the (blue), and cold line connected to the (hot).
    Does it matter, in terms of the internal make-up of the water heater? Is it considrered backwards and needs to be repaired? I would think it matters, or the water heater wouldn't indicate so.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

imported_John Smith Guest

Default Re: Hot Water Heater Connectons

Why are you heating hot water?

Yes it matters which side is used. There is a dip tube that is used to allow water some residence time in the heater so as not to only pull water from the top of the heater. The dip tube may have been put into the hot side though. The only way to know is to disconnect the inlet and outlet and look.

I also notice there isnt a discharge line on the TPR.

This is an electric water heater?

Jeff Baker Guest

Yes, its electric. I got the T&P discharge line missing. It's obvious a licensed plumber didn't install this. You wouldn't think an installer would remove the inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Why are you heating hot water?

Yes it matters which side is used. There is a dip tube that is used to allow water some residence time in the heater so as not to only pull water from the top of the heater. The dip tube may have been put into the hot side though. The only way to know is to disconnect the inlet and outlet and look.

I also notice there isnt a discharge line on the TPR.

This is an electric water heater?

John,

We could be this horse to death on why people call it a Hot Water heater but in all reality that is what it is known in Water heater World. They have been marketed as "Hot Water heaters" so everyone calls them this.

I used to lose sleep over it and then with therapy I came to accept it and move on.

Now I'm focused Air Gaps.

rick

Default Re: Hot Water Heater Connections

Jeff,

As stated above, yes it does matter if the 'Hot' is used for hot water out and the 'Could' is used for cold water in, however ...

I would not base my report on the color of those bushings, instead base it on the labeling on the water heater (yes, I see the 'COLD' label just beyond the blue - just pointing out that your report should not mention the color of the bushings (which could have been switched) and instead base your report on the labeling.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff Baker Guest

Great point Jerry !

I appreciate your input.

The tank contains hot water & is designed to maintain the heat in that hot water so you can say that it is heating the already hot water & making it a hot water heater. I also have always had an aversion to calling them a hot water heater & refer to them in reports as a water heater.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

John G.,

Except that their design and intend it to take the COLD water which is supplied to the heater and heat it, and that when hot water is used and leaves the tank, that hot water is replaced with COLD water, thus making that a plain old water heater, even though one could call it a COLD water heater because that is its intent and reason for being there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So are you saying that the thermostats never turn the elements on during periods of non use?
    I know what their design & intent is & was only giving an explanation as to why they could be called a hot water heater.
    You gave an explanation as to why they could be called a cold water heater, although once the cold water is tempered by the hot water in the tank it would then be warm water so I guess they could be called a warm water heater as well.

JW Goad

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    So are you saying that the thermostats never turn the elements on during periods of non use?
    Only when the water gets COLD enough.

I know what their design & intent is & was only giving an explanation as to why they could be called a hot water heater.
    I understood that, and ...

You gave an explanation as to why they could be called a cold water heater, ...
    ... although once the cold water is tempered by the hot water in the tank it would then be warm water so I guess they could be called a warm water heater as well.
    Correct, so, if they COULD be called "cold water heaters" by that aspect, and they COULD be called "hot water heaters" by your first aspect, and they COULD be called "warm water heaters" by your centralist aspect, then ... ... why not just call them what they are - under ALL conditions - "water heaters"?

See, calling them "hot water heaters" makes one wrong MOST of the time, as would calling them "cold water heaters" or "warm water heaters" - however, calling them "water heaters" makes one right all the time.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Which is why I do call them water heaters.

JW Goad

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Which is why I do call them water heaters.
    As we all should - which is what I was saying.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com