Thread: radon and mold

GLENN HOLSTEIN Guest

Default radon and mold

Since I'm new to this Profession how and where can I get certification for Mold and Radon Inspections?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

GLENN HOLSTEIN Guest

Default Re: radon and mold

In WV

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN HOLSTEIN View Post
    Since I'm new to this Profession how and where can I get certification for Mold and Radon Inspections?
    Hi Glenn,

I would start with this site Regional Radon Training Centers | Radon | US EPA

You will see four regional centers that provide training. This should give you some good background on the proper testing and certifications. I do not know if WV has a specific requirement, many states do. You need to check on this.

As for Mould, I would not even advise you to go down that trail. More and more inspectors are getting into trouble testing for mould. Let the folks who specialize in IAQ do this work. Work on becoming a better home inspector before you try to enter into a new profession such as IAQ.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    As for Mould, I would not even advise you to go down that trail. More and more inspectors are getting into trouble testing for mould. Let the folks who specialize in IAQ do this work. Work on becoming a better home inspector before you try to enter into a new profession such as IAQ.
    IAQ is a vast field - one that I have spent a great deal of time getting into. H.I.s who do mold testing really have little idea what they're doing. They are completely unaware of the standards that apply to IAQ and are following practices that cannot be substantiated.

People new to H.I.ing have a full plate as it is and should leave IAQ for another time down the road when very serious effort and time can be applied to learning the field. Inspectors who perform "simple" mold testing need to realize that they're providing no useful service and those that "teach" mold testing need to seriously beef up their knowledge base.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL