Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Electrical Cables contacting truss plates

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-20-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Electrical Cables contacting truss plates

Perhaps you should invest in this. Text searchable. Makes life a lot easier.

2006 I-Codes on CD Complete Collection (PDF) — Single User

Unfortunately, it appears that Nevada is not one of the state codes availabe in PDF Searchable format.

State Codes & Local Amendments - Page 1

I'm glad to see you're not to shy to ask questions. A lot of people who ARE to shy benefit from being able to read your questions and the responses to them cause they had the same questions.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

James Duffin Guest

Thank goodness for Torrents!

Jeff,

Are your quoting codes on your report?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Does someone have the code that states electrical cables can not contact the metal plates used on trusses?
    There is no specific code which prohibits that.

This is as close as it gets:
    - 300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage.
    - - Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be adequately protected.

Not necessarily intended for the use you describe, but it *might* work.

I also need the code that states that the outter insulation cover for electrical wires can not be 5 inches into a panel!
    There is no specific code which prohibits this either.

This is about as close as it comes:
    - 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
    - - Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

But trying to enforce that as a code inspector is like trying to force an elephant to back into a lion's cage - you just ain't gonna do it. Trying to do it as a home inspector uses up time which could have been spent doing something worthwhile.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

When you are sure that what you suggest is an improvement and you can't cite code because it doesn't exist, it's hard to say the other guy was wrong.
    It's like many of mine and all the crap I say about decks and docks. I can't back it up with code, but I know it's a better idea to place a railing to keep someone from walking off a bulkhead, or a handrail to keep someone from falling down the steps from the deck to the dock. So I don't say the builder was wrong. I suggest that they do whatever and then explain why.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Wouldn't you think it is common sense not to have electrical cables contacting the metal truss plates!
    Yes, it is "common sense", but code does not address "common sense".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, they are from the NEC ... BUT ...

This is from the IRC ...
    - E3301.2 Scope.
    Chapters 33 through 42 shall cover the installation of electrical systems, equipment and components indoors and outdoors that are within the scope of this code, including services, power distribution systems, fixtures, appliances, devices and appurtenances. Services within the scope of this code shall be limited to 120/240-volt, 0- to 400-ampere, single-phase systems. These chapters specifically cover the equipment, fixtures, appliances, wiring methods and materials that are most commonly used in the construction or alteration of one- and two-family dwellings and accessory structures regulated by this code. The omission from these chapters of any material or method of construction provided for in the referenced standard NFPA 70 shall not be construed as prohibiting the use of such material or method of construction. Electrical systems, equipment or components not specifically covered in these chapters shall comply with the applicable provisions of the NFPA 70.

Your situation is one where you tell your client 'The NEC is recognized nationally by all the major insurance companies as *the minimum standard for electrical systems* and it is becoming apparent that your builder as no concern for you life safety as he insists on not taking care of even the smallest and easiest to correct items.'

Then add '*I* can only point out what is not up to *minimum* requirements, I doubt that the builder advertised this house as *minimum housing* ... did you buy this as *minimum housing*? If not, I would contact the local building department as find out what they say about this items.' (then list the items)

That's about all you can do, and that's what I've done on many homes.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Norm Grande Guest

As an electrician, we would often run along side the truss plates, but we would be carefull to avoid the sharp edges. As long as it was properly stapled, we always passed inspection. There are only so many places to run the wires. We often added running boards to keep wiring away from sharp areas also.