Grant Jones Guest

Default Calcium Chloride Test

All,

I have a friend asking if I do calcium chloride tests on concrete. His flooring manufacturer says they require it to honor their warranty on flooring he's had installed in his basement. I've not been aware of this in the past so any idea what advice I can give this guy? Who should he call, and what 'vetting' questions should he ask a tester (besides "are you certified")?

Thanks,
    Grant

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Calcium Chloride Test

Grant,

This site may be helpful.

Calcium Chloride Test

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Jones View Post
    All,

I have a friend asking if I do calcium chloride tests on concrete. His flooring manufacturer says they require it to honor their warranty on flooring he's had installed in his basement. I've not been aware of this in the past so any idea what advice I can give this guy? Who should he call, and what 'vetting' questions should he ask a tester (besides "are you certified")?

Thanks,
    Grant
    A proper concrete moisture test is not all that difficult if you have all of the proper equipment that is need. With that said, I would contact any large flooring supply company. They should be able to give you the name of a person or two that can do this for you.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Jones View Post
    All,

Thanks,
    Grant
    Moisture would be a greater concern than CC. However, regarding testing for CC you might contact a local concrete mix plant and see if they don't have someone willing to help.

Grant Jones Guest

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll pass on the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Toelle View Post
    Moisture would be a greater concern than CC. However, regarding testing for CC you might contact a local concrete mix plant and see if they don't have someone willing to help.
    Ah, a calcium chloride test is a test for moisture in the concrete. The calcium chloride absorbs or draws the moisture from an area of the concrete, then the moisture is measured to provide you with the moisture content in the slab. Kind of similar to a radon canister test.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Try this site for a description of the test:

Calcium Chloride Test

This one list certified testers:

FITS Certified Inspectors Directory for Tennessee | Flooring Inspection Training Services, Inc.

Ted Menelly Guest

How about a concrete slab moisture test.

Calcium chloride test is how you test it, not what you are testing for. Why can't folks just calls things what they are.