Travis Scruggs Guest

Default Quality in Mississippi - New to this site

I am Travis Scruggs in Southwest Mississippi with Quality Home Inspection LLC. I enjoy my family, wife and 7 kids, drag racing, and hunting. I was the Disaster Pastor in New Orleans after Katrina.We gutted 1500 homes, rebuilt 400, etc. I have been inspecting since Katrina. It is TOUGH to make a living at this. I am also a Southern Baptist Pastor. I caught a rare form of Ecoli and moved to the country to escape. Left First Baptist New Orleans and came to rural Mississippi. Visit qualityhomeinspection - Quality Home Inspection LLC or email me at qualityhomeinspection@gmail.com or PM me if I can help or you can help me. THANKS!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Quality in Mississippi - New to this site

Travis
    Welcome aboard.
    Katrina, and Ecoli was though, but being a person of faith AND doing $100 inspections. Well, I fear your faith is about to be tested, again.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Travis Scruggs Guest

Not a single phone call - even at $100 - market down here is amazing - two years ago we were BUSY now we are DEAD

Travis, it is very slow in a good part of the country. You need to find out how many homes are being sold in your area. This will give you a good idea of just what is going on. It will pick up, but keep in mind you are not in a large metropolis.

You need to market yourself, get out and hand everyone you see a business card. If you don't have a GOOD website, you are really missing out. Now a days you must have a GOOD website if you plan on being competitive in the market place.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Scott, Thanks for the encouragement. I have one main competitor who has been for 40+ years. The area is still selling an average of 30 homes per month. He is getting all but 2 or 3. I have met everyone, done all the usuals, member and attender of teh local real estate association, etc. The realtors tell me that they are not closing on any houses; but, they are. He has no website, no advertising, cheap cards BUT he grew up with the agents in the area. I am and have always been an entrepeneur even as a Pastor. I will take his business eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Scruggs View Post
    I am and have always been an entrepeneur even as a Pastor. I will take his business eventually.
    Definitely sounds like a true christian there, with true christian values ... "I will take his business ... "

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

That is correct - I am a TRUE CHRISTIAN! This is not the place for religious debate. In business, we can fight the good fight - capitalism made America GREAT! There is nothing wrong with fighting for your share of the pie. The man is my cousin. He welcomed the competition. Eventually, I will take the business! I will do it fairly and honestly. He also owns a construction company, etc. I am not taking his livelihood. From your line of reasoning, if someone owns a grocery store in any given town, a Christian should not open a competing store because it mighty take the first guy's business.

This is not the place for religious debate.
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

So, in that vein, keep your religious stuff off this board, as YOU STATED YOURSELF ... THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Jerry, YOU posted the FIRST religious response! I simply noted my reply and will go no further. I trust that we can work together in the future. If I can help you in any way, I am certainly willing.

Jerry, YOU posted the FIRST religious response!
    Travis,

Quite to the contrary.

I was the Disaster Pastor

I am also a Southern Baptist Pastor.

Left First Baptist New Orleans
    even as a Pastor.
    Travis, you could not make a post without putting your religion in it. Okay, I think you made 1 post out of 3 without putting your religion in it, but you more than made up for it in your first post.

If you want to preach to others in your church, please do so. However, as you yourself stated, THIS is not the place for religious debates, so let's all keep their religion to out of it as there are MANY religions, and your is but one small one.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Jerry, the original post was simply a post to introduce myself to others. From there, I simply responded to your statements. I am not nor will I proseltyze, etc on this site. If you have issues with me, you can email me at qualityhomeinspection@gmail.com or call me at 6018502822, I will be happy to try to make ammends with you. However, we do need to take it off this board.

Jerry, the original post was simply a post to introduce myself to others.
    Travis,

And I didn't respond to that one.

From there, I simply responded to your statements.
    To the contrary, read your post above mine.

I am not nor will I proseltyze, etc on this site.
    Good, that is what all of us should do (not do).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Jerry, I see. You did not respond to my introduction but rather to my explanation of my entrepeneurial spirit as it relates to my "other profession". Your basis for attack was that I wanted to compete for business. Understood. I trust that this misunderstanding is behind us and we can move forward with the business at hand - Inspections.

Your basis for attack was that I wanted to compete for business.
    Travis,

First, it was not an "attack", second, you did not say you wanted to "compete" for business.

we can move forward with the business at hand - Inspections.
    That is what we do here, yes.

Moving forward and onward is always a good thing.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Thank you for keeping it professional. If I can ever assist you, please contact me. Nice to know you, Jerry. Your Business Acquaintance, Travis

Same here Travis, nice to meet you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

That did not take very long Way to go Jerry make the new guy feel bad... L.O.L. L.O.L. L.O.L.

Travis Welcome to the board....

God Bless you my Brother... You will find Jerry a very open minded person If you can stick to the facts he will play along...

But he needs Facts... Same with BAGDAD BOB...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

My my my oh my oh my my my oh oh oh my my my.

Jerry....No matter what the topic is about anything or who it is about or how some one does something. If a mans faith is brought up even in the slightest you seem to have taken the fight first and foremost to tell folks what to do, how to do it, when to do it every single time.

Did a preacher, pastor, father, Monk etc beet the ever loving crap out of you once upon a time or what ever may happen.

The thread about religeon....You went there even knowing that it was a religious thread only to complain about it. Even others went there not to participate but to complain about it. If it bothered you so much why did you not just ignore it. This guy...no matter what he put forth in the thread he created you just had to add a religious dig into it.

May I suggest....Not tell you....Get over it. What ever your back ground with religion is give it a rest. No one was singling you out. No one was sending a priest to your house. No one was beating you with a cross but you will always show up swinging.

You my friend, when it comes to your religious beliefs are far worse than anyone has ever thought of being in expressing you non belief, belief, what ever it is and your absolute hatred for anything mentioned in the slightest about religeon.

I don't understand and do not want to understand but seriously...You need to stop seeking it out with such hatred. They have meds for that kind of OCD.

When you are walking thru a store and sneeze and someone says God Bless you do you run over and knock them down and commence to beating them about the face and head. Do you put such a stink up everyone is staring at you asking "what is wrong with that man.

I do not want to know the answer to any of those questions. I really don't. I just get so shocked out your insane outbursts. Telling folks what to do, how to do it, what to say and not to say. I just instructed and extremely close friend of mine (best friend) to go see a Dr. about almost the identical outburst and rage. Not about religeon but the ned to control every situation and the angermanagement thing. That was a month ago. The meds are doing a wonderful job. He no longer tells the bunny rabbits when and how they should cross the road.

Before you get all histerical......I don't believe religeon should be brought up her (in depth). To think a God Bless you brother may sneek out of someones mouth but thats ok. I might even enjoy the rantings at times from differnt folks about there views...periodically...Even yours.

If an occasional religious blurb flounders out of someones mouth....Please....I ask with great respect form one human to another....Let it slide and be done with it. Stop with the demands and commands and though shalt nots and such.. You sound worse than the religious fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    My my my oh my oh my my my oh oh oh my my my.

Jerry....No matter what the topic is about anything or who it is about or how some one does something. If a mans faith is brought up even in the slightest you seem to have taken the fight first and foremost to tell folks what to do, how to do it, when to do it every single time.

Ted, Ted, Ted,

Did you (here it goes again) not read what was posted and written?

I did not respond to his introductory post, in a fair effort to keep it out of the discussion we were having on the other thread.

I only responded later to an additional post.

However, if you had read the above posts, you would see that Travis and I "worked it all out okay", so it seems that you are the one with the problem?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Travis Scruggs Guest

Ted and Ron; Thank You! It is always good to have people who will stand up when they feel that integrity is attacked. We could certainly have a debate over that in the political realm. I am honored to be here. I have no hurt feelings. I have met numerous people over the years that are offended by religion. It is no big deal. Jerry and I have made ammends and all is good. Let us take the inspection to the next level. I am a drag racer and have been on several of those boards where people got personal, etc over trivial things. I believe that we can disagree but remain professional. My usual signature is
    Grace and Peace to You, Travis Scruggs

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ted, Ted, Ted,

Did you (here it goes again) not read what was posted and written?

I did not respond to his introductory post, in a fair effort to keep it out of the discussion we were having on the other thread.

I only responded later to an additional post.

However, if you had read the above posts, you would see that Travis and I "worked it all out okay", so it seems that you are the one with the problem?

Jerry

No problem here what so ever.

I did read it all Jerry. I have absolutely no doubt that religeon would not have been so prevelant and forgot about rather quickly if you did not make such a stink about it.

I read everything, all the time. When anyone makes the deadly serious mistake (as far as you are concerned) saying one word to many about religeon your outraged fanatical self comes out and start demanding what ever to whom ever.

Seriously...Think about it for about one tenth of a second....The religeous thread. You had to go there and find out exactly what was be spouted about religeon on YOUR inspection board and hastily start demanding and commanding. . Why Jerry....Why would you have done that. Let me tell you a secret (it would have gone away on its own). You don't like or want any part of anyones religeon or topics about religeon discussed anywhere near you for any reason what so ever...but then you sought it out just to complain about it.

Far be it for me to even suggest to chill a little but it is actually some good advise. Take it or leave it. Just good advise.

To think that politics or religeon will never come up......................Not. It always has and always will. That is the human factor in this wonderfull world we live in.

Just a quick edit here

Yes "You and Travis worked it out OK" Why was that ? You told him to shut up about religeon. He did. You won. That;s working it out huh?

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-23-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Ron Bibler Guest

Yaaaaa What Ted said

Dude...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Yes "You and Travis worked it out OK" Why was that ? You told him to shut up about religeon. He did. You won. That;s working it out huh?
    Ted,

Not sure what you are smoking, but you certainly did not read, or, should I say, understand what you read, as I did not win anything - Travis stated that this was not the place to have a religious debated, I AGREED WITH TRAVIS ... does that mean 'Travis won'?

Not sure, but if it does, so be it.

To me, it means we both came out on the up and up, both positive, and both in agreement.

Thus I do not understand why you are saying differently.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeez, can you feel the love!

Travis, at 30 homes a month I would bet that only 12-15 are being inspected. And that ain't very many! You will starve with those numbers. You are going to increase your travel base, I would say around 75 miles. You might even thing about getting a LA license.

For the month of August in my area they closed right at 2,700 homes! To the best of my knowledge and research we have around 40 home inspectors who are vying for those inspections.

Even with those numbers I have been lucky to have 2-4 home inspections a week. This week I have 2 homes, 2 commercial projects and one new EW job! All in all not a bad week in the billable column of the books!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

You can ad other service to your inspection. Pest. Sewer scans. Radon, and what eles will work in you are. If you have low Numbers you need to make every call count...

You can have one inspection = $ 1,000.00 do 3 a week not bad.

Best

Ron

Travis Scruggs Guest

I am trying to add termite inspections but cash for the course is hard to find. I have been trying to branch out to other areas but the nearest large city is Jackson - over 100 miles away and 50+ inspectors in that area. Louisiana will not reciprocate anymore and you have to spend a significant amount of time in on training under a LA licensed inspector first. I charge $350 per inspection. It does not take many to survive out here but I need at least a few a week. Thanks for the encouragement!!! I am glad I found this site.